14x8x6 enclosure

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I have a 14x8x6 sterilite container that I would like to use as a tarantula enclosure. Are there any new world tarantulas that I could keep in it?

sasker

Arachnoprince
I assume inches? This would be alright for a number of species of tarantulas, although it is not very tall. It therefore limits your possibilities somewhat. What are your preferences? Do you have any experience keeping tarantulas?

fried rice

Arachnoknight
I do not have any experience keeping tarantulas, but I really like aphonopelma chalcodes, aphonopelma hentzi, and tlitocatl albopilosum.

And the enclosure is 14x8x6 inches

Last edited by a moderator:

sasker

Arachnoprince
Well, you could house those in that enclosure, no problem. Does it have enough ventilation? If you like, you can post a picture of the enclosure. Perhaps there are some tips we can give.

By the way, this enclosure would be way too big if you buy a tiny sling. It may also take a while for them to get big enough, especially the Aphonopelma species. And kudos for keeping up with the name changes ;)

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Thanks :) I’m really happy that I can use the sterilite container. I will have to add holes in the enclosure tonight for ventilation. I will probably get an adult aphonopelma chalcodes. Im going to use 3 or 4 inches of top soil in the enclosure.

sasker

Arachnoprince
Sounds like a plan :)

Show us some pictures when you are ready with the enclosure.

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is what I use. Ventilation is 1/4" holes on two sides.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Any non-burrowing terrestrial species, Brachypelma would be a good shout, I keep my emilia and auratum in enclosures around that size.

Tliltocatl tend to burrow at least a bit IME, my chalcodes female did as well.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
I'd use them for a non burrowing species

My T. albos and A. chalcodes have all burrowed

Kitara

Arachnodemon
My 4" T. albo started in that exact size. It was Exo Terra and looked like this:

Capture.JPG