$140 for 5" female A. geniculata?

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
Someone local is selling. Fair price?

Have some interest in these because of their appearance and appetite :)

cold blood

Staff member
Not outrageous, but I wouldn't pay that much....get slings....ts like this, the best part about them is raising them as they as such good eaters and fast growers. I don't see buying a sexed female of any species that is both common and fast growing. JMO

Last edited:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
They're great Ts, but that sounds unreasonable. They're not rare, they're very hardy, they produce a decent number of slings from one egg sac, and the slings grow pretty quickly. I'd counter-offer for $80-$100 if you are negotiating. Or, get slings.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
If you are a desperate breeder with no alternative, then yes by all means.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
Im in the minority that prefers to get juveniles and bigger T's that I can actually see. Already grown or showing some adult coloration

I admit tho, it is pretty cool to see them molt and grow in size after that

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
Not outrageous, butI wouldn't pay that much....get slings....ts like this, the best part about them is raising them as they as such good eaters and fast growers. I don't see buying a sexed female of any species that is both common and fast growing. JMO
Ha ha! Tried to feed my tiny genic sling last night and it literally ran away from a pinhead! Obviously molting but I laughed nonetheless.

How long do you think it will take to put some size on? I know it is dependant on the individual more than anything and feeding schedule (once a week). Do you think I should feed it more often to get it out of the tiny sling phase?

Cheers and beers!

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I don't think that anything beats raising them from slings to adult. Especially a fast growing species. I feel a sense of accomplishment and pride when I raise a t that way. I have lost patience a few times and have no regrets for the few female juvies I have purchased. I got my female juvie A genic for 75 bucks when she was about 3 inches. I don't regret it. 150 is a little steep but I don't think 100 would be that bad imo. Just my 2 cents

cold blood

Staff member
Ha ha! Tried to feed my tiny genic sling last night and it literally ran away from a pinhead! Obviously molting but I laughed nonetheless.

How long do you think it will take to put some size on? I know it is dependant on the individual more than anything and feeding schedule (once a week). Do you think I should feed it more often to get it out of the tiny sling phase?

Cheers and beers!
received as a 1/4" sling.

This is seven months later..they grow super fast to this size.
14 months

2yrs...the growth rate slows as molt cycles increase.
2.5 yrs....4.5"

But you see, they are juveniles with colors really quickly....and sexable at this size in the first pic if you are motivated.

I have a male and female, both have grown at just about the same pace...the male is just half a molt cycle behind.

I don't do anything special with feeding schedules and probably feed less often than most people might.....my room is 68-90 in summer depending on the weather and 73-78 in winter.

Last edited:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
received as a 1/4" sling.

This is seven months later..they grow super fast to this size.
14 months

2yrs...the growth rate slows as molt cycles increase.
2.5 yrs....4.5"

But you see, they are juveniles with colors really quickly....and sexable at this size in the first pic if you are motivated.

In have a male and female, both have grown at just about the same pace...the male is just half a molt cycle behind.

I don't do anything special with feeding schedules and probably feed less often than most people might.....my room is 68-90 in summer depending on the weather and 73-78 in winter.
Wow that is quick growth! And I couldn't have asked for a better response! Really puts it into perspective :)

Gorgeous t by the way! Easily my favorite looking tarantula.

Thank a bunch (sending a beer emoji if I had one!)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I def agree on getting slings of speicies that are fast growers like A geniculata or P cancerides, especially P cancerides that goes throug diffrent color phases when they grow. In general i think it is more fun to raise slings to adulthood then just maintain an adult spider

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
I do feel a little more of an attachment (and can understand feeling a sense of accomplishment) to the slings that have molted already, compared to when I first acquired them

I asked about the geniculata because I havent seen this species for sale much locally. Adults or slings. And it is one that I'd like to for sure have

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Im in the minority that prefers to get juveniles and bigger T's that I can actually see. Already grown or showing some adult coloration

I admit tho, it is pretty cool to see them molt and grow in size after that
I agree, but can afford more of the smaller ones. There is one at a local shop that's $130 for an A. genic that's about 3". I don't know if it's male/female and wouldn't really trust them anyway. I keep eyeing it, but I won't buy from them. I am going to wait until the spring expos come around and try to get one there or buy one online if I just get too impatient. A. genic IS my next T.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
Im very impatient, and indecisive. lol

I have not completely ruled out this geniculata. Whether I get this one or another later, one thing I would like to know - are they considered burrowers as adults?

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I have not completely ruled out this geniculata. are they considered burrowers as adults?
Absolutely not. Individually they may vary, but they have a reputation for being very comfortable without making a burrow. I have one now that I've raised from 3rd or 4th instar, and it has never used the hide or buried itself away. It moults out in the open. Kept in very clear containers.

They are hilarious eating machines. Very highly recommended.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That's not unreasonable. I wouldn't let my 6" female go for anything less than that. I would ask for more. Yes, they are fast growing, but you can't beat getting a huge female like that from the get go.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
That's not unreasonable. I wouldn't let my 6" female go for anything less than that. I would ask for more. Yes, they are fast growing, but you can't beat getting a huge female like that from the get go.
That tends to be my mindset when it comes to this hobby :)

Is yours also not a burrower?

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
That tends to be my mindset when it comes to this hobby :)

Is yours also not a burrower?
I got my girl when she was about 2.5" and she has always had a hide. She has never used her hide and she has never burrowed. She is right there in my face in all her 6"+ of glory every time I open the lid. :)

DSC09872-2.jpg

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
Gorgeous. Maybe this one will become my 20th then. lol

And good to know it doesnt seem like I would need to have deep substrate with an adult

Last edited:

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
I got my girl when she was about 2.5" and she has always had a hide. She has never used her hide and she has never burrowed. She is right there in my face in all her 6"+ of glory every time I open the lid. :)

View attachment 328098
Absolutley striking t! That picture sums up why I think they are the best looking spider!:)