120 gal

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A friend of mine gave me his old 120 gal tank for my birthday and I'm looking for some advice as to what to get to put in there

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Aquarium or terrarium? Tank can be a bit confusing at times ;)

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Aquarium = 4 walls sans doors
Terrarium = 3 walls + doors

Edit:
Add to the aquarium = Incredibly thick glass (if it's large).

Edit edit... the more I think about it, the more complicated it gets ;)
If it's a large "tank" with four equally high walls but with thin glas, then it's a top-fed terrarium. It could potentially be filled with a little water but never up to the edge.

Anyway, a dead giveway for a typical aquarium is as stated thick glass and four equally high walls, no doors to the side.
Obviously an aquarium can be used as a terrarium too, but the reverse is not always true.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Cool.
I'm currently working on getting my new aquarium going and am excited about it because I'm aiming for some local fish species, namely Perch. If I can get one I'll even include a Pike or whatever else will get trapped in my net when I'm going out catching next weekend.

How could I not suggest the same? ;) Use local/indiginous fish. But if you like the idea let me recommend you get the youngest fish of the species you can get a hold of. The younger/smaller they are, the more likely it seems that they can adapt to life in an aquarium.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool.
I'm currently working on getting my new aquarium going and am excited about it because I'm aiming for some local fish species, namely Perch. If I can get one I'll even include a Pike or whatever else will get trapped in my net when I'm going out catching next weekend.

How could I not suggest the same? ;) Use local/indiginous fish. But if you like the idea let me recommend you get the youngest fish of the species you can get a hold of. The younger/smaller they are, the more likely it seems that they can adapt to life in an aquarium.
Actually I already have one like that. Have some small catfish and some bass in there.

Last edited:

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, congrats! That's a nice sized tank. I say make a huge living vivarium, or get a badass monitor or perhaps a snake or herp of sorts.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, congrats! That's a nice sized tank. I say make a huge living vivarium, or get a badass monitor or perhaps a snake or herp of sorts.
yep it's a nice tank, I mean it was setting in his basement for several years and was pretty dirty, but it once i cleaned it good it looked brand new.

I was think about a monitor, what would be a good one that could live in this tank. I have also be thinking about have a community of some kind, do you know of any nice ones i could set up.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
get a big T blondi lol forget the spined wonders lol back bones are over rated...look at our politicians most of them are spinless lol

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
get a big T blondi lol forget the spined wonders lol back bones are over rated...look at our politicians most of them are spinless lol
I think 120 gal is a bit big for a T. Blondi lol, but thanks anyway. Also i'm not really looking for things with spines, i just posted here cause i figure this is where i would get the most diverse ideas.

rollinkansas

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you could get any of the dwarf monitors such as freckled, kimberlies, etc

or a huge dart frog vivarium could possibly work as well.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yep it's a nice tank, I mean it was setting in his basement for several years and was pretty dirty, but it once i cleaned it good it looked brand new.

I was think about a monitor, what would be a good one that could live in this tank. I have also be thinking about have a community of some kind, do you know of any nice ones i could set up.

Perhaps an Argus, or a Blackthroat. Maybe a savannah would fit, idk, theres alot of cool species.

Potemkin

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Could a bullfrog be kept in there.
Probably, although they're known to have problems bruising their noses on glass. The poor little critters leap and smack themselves into the glass. Dart frogs would be an awesome tank, or you could do some monitors.

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your looking for a varanid, (monitor) several of the small to medium sized species could live in such an enclousure. But I think blackthroats get too big. For all your monitor needs, check out proexotics.com, these guys KNOW monitors. ~Rex

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think 120 gal is a bit big for a T. Blondi lol, but thanks anyway. Also i'm not really looking for things with spines, i just posted here cause i figure this is where i would get the most diverse ideas.
oh heck i know, what i have been wanting to do for a while now. Set it pu wiht a pond and lots of rocks stacked up for hides and put 5 Scolopendra heros castaniceps in there. with a few c. vittatus

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh heck i know, what i have been wanting to do for a while now. Set it pu wiht a pond and lots of rocks stacked up for hides and put 5 Scolopendra heros castaniceps in there. with a few c. vittatus
I figured you were just messing around.
I'm i'm pretty sure that Scolopendra heros castaniceps is a centipede (i'm not good with the latin names of stuff yet) and so i'm guessing that so is the other. I don't much care for centipedes, but again thanks for the advice

Jake85

Arachnopeon
If I had a 120 gallon aquarium and a few extra bucks I'd pick up a dwarf caiman. Just saw one for sale at my local petstore last week. Of course, this one was definitely not mature yet and would probably need a tank upgrade at some point in the future.

Masurai

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I had a 120 gallon aquarium and a few extra bucks I'd pick up a dwarf caiman. Just saw one for sale at my local petstore last week. Of course, this one was definitely not mature yet and would probably need a tank upgrade at some point in the future.
Thanks for the idea, but I'm looking for something that can live in a 120 Gal for life.