107-Million-Spiders Found.......

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Cool! My question is how large of a bug population/ infestation is there to support such a colony of spiders??? If its the largest colony of spiders in the US then I'd guess its also the largest feeder insect population in the US.

cold blood

Staff member
Cool! My question is how large of a bug population/ infestation is there to support such a colony of spiders??? If its the largest colony of spiders in the US then I'd guess its also the largest feeder insect population in the US.
Dude, its a WASTEwater treatment plant, ya know, like sewage and poopo_O....the very nature of the facility is a bug attractant.

cold blood

Staff member
Haha, when I clicked on that I half expected to see an article from Austria...teehee

Duriana

Arachnoknight
"A nightmare straight out of arachnophobia"? More like spider heaven for us :rofl:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The masses of webs were first discovered by horrified employees of the Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant in 2009. The webbing engulfed almost the entire ceiling of the massive warehouse, occupying two to three feet extending from the ceiling. In some places, the webs are so thick that they permanently damaged structure fixtures and lighting, pulling them down with their weight.
I wonder what happened to the spiders afterwards. I hope some effort was made to save some of them from extermination.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Wow, neat. Looking at the pictures, seeing the heavy webbing on the structures reminds me of how tent worm caterpillars take over trees.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Dude, its a WASTEwater treatment plant, ya know, like sewage and poopo_O....the very nature of the facility is a bug attractant.
But I learned from another current thread that bugs can be very clean. In fact some are even neat freaks! :)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
But I learned from another current thread that bugs can be very clean. In fact some are even neat freaks! :)
As with humans, they run the gamut. Ants are so clean they have special cleaning extensions of the leg. They have to be clean to avoid pathogens from living underground. And then you have dung beetles.

keks

Arachnobaron
As with humans, they run the gamut. Ants are so clean they have special cleaning extensions of the leg. They have to be clean to avoid pathogens from living underground. And then you have dung beetles.
I think dung beatles will clean themselves too after their hard work with the dung balls ^^.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I think dung beatles will clean themselves too after their hard work with the dung balls ^^.
I actually meant the larvae eat only dung. As do adults of many species, actually. The larvae also get to live in it.

keks

Arachnobaron
I actually meant the larvae eat only dung. As do adults of many species, actually. The larvae also get to live in it.
Erm. Yes the larvae eat dung. And I know dogs who eat the dung of other animals (not mine, thankfully) ;).

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Haha, when I clicked on that I half expected to see an article from Austria...teehee
You'd better hope I'm not that bad with directions and locations.

Or else those slings are going to end up in Pennsylvania instead of Transylvania where I really live.