$1000 US.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A random species? That's what forums like this are for. You see tarantulas and think I'd like 1 of those. Rather than be lumped with a load of tarantulas you didn't want.
I can think of a few species that I got because I liked the look of them or got because they were highly recommended and then not enjoyed keeping them (GBBs are the least interesting heavy-webbers I've kept, Lasiodora hairs suck a mountain of wang, my first P. cambridgei)

Granted, these were surprise freebies rather than a mystery box but I'd have probably never purchased a C. huahini, H. gigas, or P. muticus of my own accord (they're all "just big brown spiders", I basically didn't even remotely care for baboons or Asian fossorials prior to getting those and I was initially annoyed at receiving spiders that I didn't order because Autism + surprises = :banghead:). I actually enjoy keeping all 3 species and am now interested in some other baboons and Asian fossorials as a result of getting those species that I didn't (think I) want(ed).

basin79

ArachnoGod
I can think of a few species that I got because I liked the look of them or got because they were highly recommended and then not enjoyed keeping them (GBBs are the least interesting heavy-webbers I've kept, Lasiodora hairs suck a mountain of wang, my first P. cambridgei)

Granted, these were surprise freebies rather than a mystery box but I'd have probably never purchased a C. huahini, H. gigas, or P. muticus of my own accord (they're all "just big brown spiders", I basically didn't even remotely care for baboons or Asian fossorials prior to getting those and I was initially annoyed at receiving spiders that I didn't order because Autism + surprises = :banghead:). I actually enjoy keeping all 3 species and am now interested in some other baboons and Asian fossorials as a result of getting those species that I didn't (think I) want(ed).
Now see surprise freebies are different (I still wouldn't have them) because being free they're a bonus. There's no expectation or pressure just a free gift.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The $50 mystery box from Fear Not Tarantula for Aphonopelma mooreae was worth it in my opinion. :angelic:
It's a gamble and that's the issue. If you were to buy a few $50 mystery boxes, how many would actually have actual value?? Because I can't picture getting an A. mooreae for a majority of mystery boxes worth $50 or try getting something new each time I buy one.

TarantulasWorld

Arachnosquire
Probably T.seladonia a pair of T.blondi and H.devamatha slings based on what I see on their website

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
I'd guess just a lot of Ts, being worth decent amounts of money. Who would actually choose that mystery box though? Since it's an option, does it mean somebody has, or is it just there for the sake of being there?

I personally would want to do a mystery box if the cost wasn't big-vendor price ranges. They all just crazily overprice over here. If it was more like the prices in the classifieds, sure.

It's a gamble and that's the issue. If you were to buy a few $50 mystery boxes, how many would actually have actual value?? Because I can't picture getting an A. mooreae for a majority of mystery boxes worth $50 or try getting something new each time I buy one.
The way Fear Not's mystery events work is unique from what I've seen, and that means multiple people got that species as their $50 mystery sling that month. But their thing isn't worth it to me because it's that much for one sling that might've been worth less.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rare Chilobrachys sp. "Electric Blue" adult female plus adult male?
Is this species expensive elsewhere? Here I can get slings for the equivalent of $7.

Perhaps it’s a pair of 12” T stirmi and then some other species haha But joking aside I don’t think you should spend $1000 on a mystery box, use that money for something you know you’ll enjoy. No need to gamble

Maybe 4-5 Typhochlaena seladonia, or 100 Brachypelma vagans...?

I don't think I would drop $1000 on a mystery box - there's too many non-mystery things that I want first.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Didn't TarantulaDan get a £1,000 one from The Spider Shop and they basically just sent him a bunch of Phormingochilus sp. "Sabah Blue"?
I think he got like 5 Sabah Blues (including an adult female) and one, maybe two T. seladonia and I think one or two more species. That quantity of P sp Sabah Blue's are ~$1400+ here in the States alone, think he said it was like £6-700 on his side of the pond. Add the T seladonia and he definently got what he paid for and more. Mystery boxes aren't really my thing as I'm quite picky in what species I want to keep, but I understand the go big or go home mentality.

Thanks,
--Matt

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you don't see the appeal in mystery boxes, then don't play the "What could possibly be in a 1,000$ mystery box to make it worth it?!" game :rolleyes: Anytime someone posts ANYTHING about a mystery box, you get all these folk saying they think it is a stupid concept. Some people LIKE SURPRISES. Some people ask a restaurant worker what they should try there! People DO, quite often in fact, let others make decisions for them. If you're a super-snob and are only interested in 4 species, then of course don't order a mystery box. Goodness gracious. Let people enjoy stuff!

If I magically had 1,000$ to spend on a mystery box, I would be hoping for high end Pamphos, females of rare Orange Bob localities, and... I don't know, confirmed females of some harder to find species? E. pachypus, E. sp red, P. lugardi, etc.

I like the idea of a mystery box, but $1000 is way too rich for my blood, haha.
All of this :rofl: I also won't buy from big name vendors like the ones who have mystery boxes... Maybe I can get a private seller to put together a mystery box for me :p

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Palp Friction had all their T. seladonia's taken from them that they bred
Ok,i missed this.When did this happen?. U.S Fish and Wildlife,i had read,had not made any decisions on Brazilian
animals already in the US/Canada/EU,and the efforts going forward would be on imports coming into the country,
not animals already here.Im not sure about the illegal to sell them from domestic strains.
These T,s are not on the endangered species list(Lacey Act).At least not that I have seen.
Ok,apparently the T,s that were confiscated,were coming into the US,not already
here.They were seized at the border coming into the country.

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Ok,i missed this.When did this happen?. U.S Fish and Wildlife,i had read,had not made any decisions on Brazilian
animals already in the US/Canada/EU,and the efforts going forward would be on imports coming into the country,
not animals already here.Im not sure about the illegal to sell them from domestic strains.
These T,s are not on the endangered species list(Lacey Act).At least not that I have seen.
The Lacey Act was the thing that enforced the T. seladonia from being sold in the US. Palp Friction Bred them and was going to sell the slings. But the government saw them being sold and came and took all of them, I LITERALLY MEAN ALL of the T. seladonia slings and adults that Palp Friction had, which none of them was sold off. After that, no one in the US wanted to sell the T. seladonia because no one wanted to go through the same issues Palp Friction went through. So now, if you have one, you're gonna have a hard time finding a mate in the US, not to mention that they're basically illegal in a sense to own now in the US. Which is why you don't see anyone posting Pics of T. seladonia here on the boards that is in the US or videos of someone having them in the US. The name T. seladonia in the US is almost criminal, which is sad.

Man, I'm glad my folks moved from the States to Ireland to have me... I really want to get a T. seladonia someday... But they are still really hard to find and very expensive here :/

Hopefully things change for you guys someday...

purplephilia

Arachnolurker
The Lacey Act was the thing that enforced the T. seladonia from being sold in the US. Palp Friction Bred them and was going to sell the slings. But the government saw them being sold and came and took all of them, I LITERALLY MEAN ALL of the T. seladonia slings and adults that Palp Friction had, which none of them was sold off. After that, no one in the US wanted to sell the T. seladonia because no one wanted to go through the same issues Palp Friction went through. So now, if you have one, you're gonna have a hard time finding a mate in the US, not to mention that they're basically illegal in a sense to own now in the US. Which is why you don't see anyone posting Pics of T. seladonia here on the boards that is in the US or videos of someone having them in the US. The name T. seladonia in the US is almost criminal, which is sad.
Where did you hear that all their T seladonia had been confiscated? They posted a mature male on their Instagram a month ago with the caption “waiting for his lady” and replied to someone in the comments that hopefully they will be able to sell T seladonia in the near future.

There were some people who lost their imports some time last year (the import was seized by fish and wildlife during inspection). I hadn’t heard anything about anyone’s already-owned specimens being confiscated.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Where did you hear that all their T seladonia had been confiscated? They posted a mature male on their Instagram a month ago with the caption “waiting for his lady” and replied to someone in the comments that hopefully they will be able to sell T seladonia in the near future.

There were some people who lost their imports some time last year (the import was seized by fish and wildlife during inspection). I hadn’t heard anything about anyone’s already-owned specimens being confiscated.
Huh? interesting, I've heard their T. seladonia's were confiscated. Their was talk about it on Youtube, and i'm pretty certain they're illegal to sell.