100% Vermiculite?

Alboy84

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I've just had a small mite outbreak in my two T tanks, so I decided to go for a 100% vermiculite substrate this time - since it won't harbour those little critters. Before I used Coconut Fibre. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of using 100% vermiculite? BTW...I have a B.Vagans and a L.Parahybana. Is misting really that important too? Or can I get away with only doing it pre-molt or something? I do have water bowls in both tanks.

Thanks!

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Both of those species will do just fine on dry substrate with a water dish. There is no need to mist and in not too long the mites will disappear. Even if you have a T that favors higher humidity, you can get them use to dryer conditions just so long as they always have a water dish. Mites can not survive in dry conditions. This will keep any food that you miss to remove from rotting and creating mold too.

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used 100% vermiculite for over 10 years for litteraly thousands of T's and the reason for that is because it just works best, I have had visible mites on only a handfull of occasions and all were my fault for not staying on top of dead or uneaten prey items, vermiculite is cheap, easily manuverable by the T's, holds moisture for an unbeleivably long time w/ out molding, is easy to clean, lightweight, I could go on ....... there are many who disagree w/ me on this but if you read my reviews you can clearly see that the spiders I ship out are verry healthy, active and thriving so I must be doing something right, if you want a low maint. substrate thats practicle as well, vermiculite is the way to go! PEACE B.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I tend to use 100% vermiculite on my arboreals, particularly Avicularia. I've used it with terrestrials and would probably use it again. The only downside is that it can be less ideal for burrowing (it doesn't always hold so well) and tends to wear away the hair on the underside of the T because it is so abrasive. The T's don't appear to be bothered by this, but I often feel guilty about it when I see their poor bald stomachs. So it's a toss up, but I wouldn't necessarily not use it just for that reason because it is very beneficial in controlling mold and other nasties.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so I decided to go for a 100% vermiculite substrate this time - since it won't harbour those little critters.
Mites will thrive anywhere you have a damp substrate and a food source. Vermiculite is no guarantee against mites. Only a 100% dry substrate can do that and not all T's can survive such conditions.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well if u have parasitic mites on your spider it doesnt matter what substrate your using,there still gonna be there even if it is dry.if u just have tank mites its possible they could be harmless and pose no threat to your spider.i personly dont like the look of 100% vermiculite and i would say its prob not the best for any species that likes to burrow eithor.