Question 100 MB of storage maxed out

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Apparently I have reached the maximum storage for images in the gallery section, cant post anymore...was wondering if theres any way around this.

Do I have to delete old pictures if I want to post new ones? Is there anything that can be done to allot more storage space?

Thanks

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You are correct - you will either have to delete pictures to make room, or upgrade your account. Arachnosupporter will more than double your quota to 250MB, and Arachnosupporter Plus raises it to 500MB. You can find more information here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Apparently I have reached the maximum storage for images in the gallery section, cant post anymore...was wondering if theres any way around this.

Do I have to delete old pictures if I want to post new ones? Is there anything that can be done to allot more storage space?

Thanks
You post too much, that's your problem :troll:;)

WildSpider

Arachnobaron

Thanks
Don't know if you use Photoshop or Gimp at all or if you already do this but the photos will take up less of your space if you decrease the file size. One way to do this is to scale the image down. Within Gimp 2.8.16, you just do it like this:

Open the file in "Gimp".
gimp-1.JPG

First, make a new image file to work with so the original file is left intact. To do that, choose the "File" tab and from the drop down, select "Save As...". Next, name your xcf file and click "Save". As you can see, I named my file "hololena-small.xcf".
gimp-2_2.JPG

Choose the "Image" tab and from the drop down select "Scale Image..."
gimp-3.JPG

Here, you're going to change the "Image Size" "Width" and "Height", but first make sure that the chain is linked together next to the "Width" and "Height". By keeping the chain linked together, that will ensure that the width and height of the image will stay in the same proportion to each other.
gimp-4_chain-circled.jpg

Here I've changed my pic to have a width of 700px. Once I've changed the width, the height will change on its own as well to match (because the chain is linked together) and vice versa. Now click on "Scale".
gimp-5.JPG

Here's the image. It appears smaller when in Gimp then when you've uploaded it to arachnoboards later.
gimp-6.JPG

Now to get your picture, choose the tab "File" and then from the drop down, choose "Export As...". You can see I've changed it to a jpg (where it's highlighted).
gimp-7.JPG

Click Export and the jpg dialog box will pop up. I like to check the box "Show preview in image window". This will tell you what the file size is now. You can adjust the "Quality" of the image here too which will also change the file size. When you're ready, choose "Export". You can now find you're file wherever you saved it to.
gimp-8.JPG

Here is the image I just created. This new image's file size is only 142 KB on my computer (according to Properties). The original file size was 1.10 MB. I could have 8 pictures about this file size instead which takes up pretty much the same space as just the one original. Many of my pix can take up to 8 MB so this method saves a lot of space. Another plus to this is that the photo loads faster for others when they want to view your picture later.
hololena-small.jpg

Last edited: