1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

1" subspinipes care

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by SicSemperTyrannosaurus, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    I just bought a couple of pokies from a guy on craigslist, and he threw in two 1" S. subspinipes (allegedly, I know they are often actually S. dehaani). I've been searching the boards but haven't found much regarding taking care of pedelings this small. As far as water dishes are concerned, is a bottle cap too large for them at their current size? I fed them each a mealworm piece and they both ate, so that's good, I'm just a little nervous as I haven't had centipedes before.

Here's a pic of one of them, they're so pretty :happy:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

The care is super easy, just keep those little buggers on a moist substrate with generous ventilation environment/enclosure.

They are also very hardy, mark my words. Once a pedeling (more little than yours) of mine (my 0.1 S.subspinipes was/arrived gravid, but I wasn't aware of such detail) escaped and "returned" back after months 3X the original size, this without (obviously) having a water dish, an enclosure... nothing.

I've traded the other 29 (still I'm uncertain about the exact number of that evil hatch, maybe I have a pair of S.subspinipes living in my house, on the loose, but oh well - no one harms no one, rule of the house).

• Like Like x 1
  3. At that size, they don't really need a waterdish - just keep the substrate moist. Also, going off the coloration, what you have is a true subspinipes, not a dehaani.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks! I'll wait on the water dish then and keep 'em moist.
    I read about your pedeling's adventure in another thread, I won't be telling mine about it so they don't get any ideas :shifty:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

Well, you should. Isn't that bad, trust me. There's a lot of 'horror stories' about but 'you' can live, without issues, without a S.subspinipes on the loose, without bites, 'heart' attacks, anything.

It's like Guile (Street Fighter II) theme: goes for/with everything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.