1. I gave up on wood 2. ID please

ideas1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Topic 1: Well a few weeks ago I posted my new P.emp / P. Cav tank as you can see below. Well after progressive mold on all the wood, and getting tired of nuking,cooking,boiling, cleaning it. In addition to having changed the entire substrate twice. I finally gave up on it. I had a ton of floorscape rock and decided to build hides using this material. It wasn't till I finished placing the last of my scorpions back; that I asked myself. Is this a bad ideas? I don't know is it?

Topic 2: Well I purchased a new scorpion over the weekend a Flat Rock, but I want to make sure I have the correct scientific name for it. So after googling it and searching I came to the conclusion that its a Hadogenes Troglodyte, I'm still a noob. Any help is appreciated.:worship: :worship: :worship:

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
12 volts exaust fan (pc fan) makes a good ventilator, and it kills the molds.
works for me....
:D

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definitely a female H. paucidens. If you look at the tergites (the plates on their backs) at the end are a lighter color. If it was a uniform brown it would be a trog or something else. And it's a female because of the short metasoma, on male the metasoma is long and skinny. Is the tank in the second photo for the H. paucidens? If so it looks too damp for this desert girl. :)

ideas1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Definitely a female H. paucidens. If you look at the tergites (the plates on their backs) at the end are a lighter color. If it was a uniform brown it would be a trog or something else. And it's a female because of the short metasoma, on male the metasoma is long and skinny. Is the tank in the second photo for the H. paucidens? If so it looks too damp for this desert girl. :)
No the desert girl has a mixture of sand with peat 3:1 ration. Low humidity. The tank is for my tropical scorps P.cav and p.imp to be exact.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
cork bark is NOT bad for them at all. where did you hear that?

ideas1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At the moment I cant recall Ive read so much the last two months, so would a mixture of peat/coconut fiber and cork bark be the best? Although I havent had mold since I switched to the rock hides.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yet another vote for H. paucidens -- same thing happened to me in January. :rolleyes:

I've also had mold problems with corkbark in a B. jacksoni enclosure . . . I didn't think the humidity was that high either, but I guess so. If it would mold in there it would definitely mold in my emp tank.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They problem with mold is not the humidity, but the airflow! If you do not provide sufficient ventilation, you get mold.
Are you going to put your H.paucidens (the genusname with a capital, the species name without a capital) on that moist cocohumus? Don't do this, these guys come from a xeric environment, I would use sand if I where you.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cork Bark would be great for emps and you can buy it in bulk by clicking the link at the bottom of my post.

I've got a pair of H. paucidens and I keep mine pretty dry with a water dish and some flat rock stacked and leaning so they can hide. I've heard they prefer to hide in rock rather than wood.

ideas1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They problem with mold is not the humidity, but the airflow! If you do not provide sufficient ventilation, you get mold.
Are you going to put your H.paucidens (the genusname with a capital, the species name without a capital) on that moist cocohumus? Don't do this, these guys come from a xeric environment, I would use sand if I where you.
No, H.paucidens has its own tank...dry with a ton of rock. Floorscape rock and she moves from top to bottom layers when she feels like it. Two diff issues.

So here is an idea if I place fans like kahoy; sucking air in and on the other side of the tank leave a slight opening. I should be able to maintain the high humidity of 85 and get better airflow? Would that work?