1.5 " pulchra newbie mom question

webbedone

Arachnobaron
i am starting to raise babies of Grammostola Pulchra they are about 1.5" span and my question is this: Does a T that small requires a hide i separated a few and provided a little hermit crab coconut shell for some and others are in deli containers with just substrate and some moss to keep the humidity in when i mist it. Does any one know if a hide like i previously mentioned is usefull to a T that small or do the actually not require one?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i am starting to raise babies of Grammostola Pulchra they are about 1.5" span and my question is this: Does a T that small requires a hide i separated a few and provided a little hermit crab coconut shell for some and others are in deli containers with just substrate and some moss to keep the humidity in when i mist it. Does any one know if a hide like i previously mentioned is usefull to a T that small or do the actually not require one?
All slings are secretive by nature to help them survive and typically will burrow some or make "dirt curtains" (webbing up and around and putting some substrate in the webbing) to make their own.

I would say if you have the room and making hides is possible they may surely use them but as well they may burrow and make their own. It's up to you, the quantity and availability of room within the deli and other enclosures.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
when i get my shipment of slings the 10th i plan on buying a bunch of these tiny flower pots like 59 cents perfect for them :D

webbedone

Arachnobaron
just looked in one of the container with a mini hide and the spiderling that looks to be around 1-1.5 inch. It seems that the spider ling took up residence in the hide and pushed eco earth coco fiber towards the entry. possible oncoming molt? humidity is pretty high ( i inject water in the opposite side of the tank from where the sling is with a serynge) and i have the container elivated 1/4" over a heating pad to keep the temperature roughly at 81 F.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just looked in one of the container with a mini hide and the spiderling that looks to be around 1-1.5 inch. It seems that the spider ling took up residence in the hide and pushed eco earth coco fiber towards the entry. possible oncoming molt? humidity is pretty high ( i inject water in the opposite side of the tank from where the sling is with a serynge) and i have the container elivated 1/4" over a heating pad to keep the temperature roughly at 81 F.
Be wary of heating pads. If used, used them sparingly and on the sides not underneath the enclosure(s).

Since they are slings and will tend to burrow they may burrow deep enough to where they are literally just above the pad and can be overheated and cook.

Most species will do fine in comfortable temperatures that we humans find pleasing so don't be so worried about the temp's and let them adjust to the normal ambient temperatures.

I see your in PA and being in northeastern Ohio I know it's been very above normals in the temps lately in our area sometimes breaking 98 during the day so IMO right now heating pads are pretty much a non issue unless your living space is down to the 50's right now.

Most will adapt to the local temperatures and do just fine without any added heating/lighting. They are simple creatures with simple needs so don't fall into the trap of specially designed cages, heating and lighting and you'll do just fine :)

BTW all my collection is in a cabinet within our bedroom and we have the fans going at night for a comfortable sleep and it gets into the mid 70's at night in the room and they do just fine. Cooler is always better than hotter until you reach extremes on both sides of the scale.

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
Cool! i agree with all the above! Yip small hides are great for small T's! not a have to though. i just also prefure my heat comming frome th side as aposed to the bottom! but each to their own!

Cool enjoy the T's

webbedone

Arachnobaron
i have a digital thermometer that has a lengthy cord with a probe on the end of it. The tip of the probe is always pointed into the surface of the coconut fiber so i know what the substrate temperature is and i dont have to rely on the air temperatures of the room, it ranges from 80 - 81.4F
i turn the heating pad off for the night to help establish a durnal cycle. i'll get a picture or 2 of my mini enclosure up as soon as i can find my camera i just moved and everything is everywhere

kenzie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We have 3 G. Pulchra slings and we don't have any hideouts for them. They do just fine. We give them a lot of substrate in case they want to burrow, but none of them have. It's completely up to you.

We have a large closet type room that we keep our T's in, and we have a space heater in the middle of the room, so that everyone can get some heat. It works well for us.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
i have a digital thermometer that has a lengthy cord with a probe on the end of it. The tip of the probe is always pointed into the surface of the coconut fiber so i know what the substrate temperature is and i dont have to rely on the air temperatures of the room, it ranges from 80 - 81.4F
i turn the heating pad off for the night to help establish a durnal cycle. i'll get a picture or 2 of my mini enclosure up as soon as i can find my camera i just moved and everything is everywhere
The problem is not "cooking" your T but rather dehydrating it. Remove the heating pad completly or put it on the side of the enclosure if you want to supply heat. That way if it gets too hot for some reason it can escape and burrow. G. pulchra do not need water poured into there substrate and they do not like damp soil. Your T will climb if it doesnt like it wet.You can Keep the humidity up with a SHALLOW water dish. Also reduce ventalation to acheive humidity if needed. G. pulchra do not really need any extra humidity. 40-60 is just fine. Heating pad on the bottom is a big no no. No reason it should be under there what so ever. But people will do what they want. :rolleyes: Good luck with them. :D

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G pulchras can grow in a simple delicup with substrate of peat moss. I usually start designing their cage when they are adults or sub adults. for slings I usually let them grow from a deli cup. Also, don't put a heat pad under the cage because it may burn and kill your t when its molting. put it on the side of the cage or on top of the cage (heat pad can still emit heat).

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
^ What he said. I keep my small 3 in 4" deli cups with dry peat only- but with a small bottlecap for water in addition. Most here don't like waterdishes for smaller t's but mine do great! I find it unusual that the 3 small ones I have now have yet to burrow. They just sit there looking happy and healthy for the most part.

Speaking of G pulchra, I got a new molt from Scotty, my largest male yesterday. His molt measured 4.5" exactly :)

Terry

BillieJean

Arachnopeon
My pulchra sling has never burrowed, even when I started to dig one for it, and I never considered giving it a hide. It isn't skittish and doesn't try to hide, so it seems pretty happy and unstressed just living on the surface.