1/4" Eauthlus sp red sling care

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
I need some quick help! I bought 1/4" slings and I wonder if they need ventilation on sides of vial too or just holes on lid is good enough. As for food im planning to give cricket leg weekly. When i said weekly its so they grow faster :) any help on enclouser setup appreciated!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well, without a pic/s to watch, what I can tell you man is that I'm a fan of top notch ventilation, always and no matter.

I always offered to my slings live preys, btw. Micro crickets, always tiny than the slings :-s

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I need some quick help! I bought 1/4" slings and I wonder if they need ventilation on sides of vial too or just holes on lid is good enough. As for food im planning to give cricket leg weekly. When i said weekly its so they grow faster :) any help on enclouser setup appreciated!
If you can post a pic of your vial everyone can provide better advice.

I provide pin holes in one of the really small deli cups for mine. I use 5.5 oz but most people probably use the 2 oz ones if they can maintain moisture control on a daily basis. I put a bunch of pin holes in these (more is better). If you have a vial you can only put a bunch in the lid most likely. Make sure the holes are not large as the T's carapace to prevent escapes.

The cricket leg is fine. Just make sure whatever you give it is not bigger than the T. I always break my crickets up into pieces if they are too large. You need to be patient on feeding of these. They do eat, but sometimes it may not look like it. If this T burrows you should still continue to put your cricket part in there and then clean out any old food to prevent black flies and fungus. I never worry about the bolus when they are this size.

Also make sure your T has a hide where it can have privacy when desired.

If you can't fit a water dish in the container that is good but you probably can't with a vial. Some people put a small piece of sphagnum moss and keep it moist to insure the T has a water source.

Veribug

Arachnosquire
I've got a euathlus at the moment doing very well indeed. I use a plastic container that is about 2 inches tall and then 2x3 inches wide. They have been using that since they arrived, can't tell you what size they were but probably a touch bigger than yours so a pill bottle for yours might be ok. I personally ventilated the sides of mine but usually I gauge it over a short period of time and if I can see condensation building up then I will add ventilation to the top pretty swiftly.
As for feeding, cricket legs is fine, I usually get some tongs and gently wiggle it to get its attention. If no response I just drop it in there. Since mine has got bigger it has tackled some crickets its own size which has very much impressed me. :p
As a sidenote, mine seems to really love webbing and excavating (it's probably the most interesting tarantula out of my 4) so give it plenty of dirt :D and yeah they are such slow growers. The rumours I heard were true :( . Eats like 2 crickets then fasts in premolt for what feels like decades (a couple of months or so for mine)

jaycied

Arachnoknight
I have three 1/4" Euathlus sp. red slings that I keep in hot wheels display cases with holes melted in the sides for cross ventilation. They probably should be in something smaller, but they are eating well and molting regularly.

I'm a big fan of cross ventilation as opposed to top ventilation especially for slings.

As far as feeding goes, mine are still too small to catch any live prey I have. I don't like FFF. I usually crush a small cricket's head and cut it up between the three.

sasker

Arachnoprince
It is good to keep in mind that Euathlus sp. red are not the best eaters, especially as slings. Don't worry too much about your slings not eating, they will be fine. By the way, I raised mine on a diet of maggots from the local fish tackle shop, which I offered pre-killed.

I like maggots because they are incredibly cheap and you can keep them alive for a few weeks in the fridge. I don't hear many people using them as a food source for small slings, perhaps there are downsides to them that I am not aware of. If someone has an idea, feel free to elaborate! :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The oxygen requirements are very low for these animals. I have slings that size and smaller in Thornton vials with just pin holes in the lid.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Just as viper said, a few holes in the lid of the vial will be perfectly fine.

I have a N. Chromatus in a vial right now and it is doing great:

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Just as viper said, a few holes in the lid of the vial will be perfectly fine.

I have a N. Chromatus in a vial right now and it is doing great:
Can i poke holes with the 0.55x38mm glass pins after heating it with fire? Whats the best way for poking holes for such small slings 1/4"?

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
Can i poke holes with the 0.55x38mm glass pins after heating it with fire? Whats the best way for poking holes for such small slings 1/4"?
As long as the holes are smaller than the carapace it'll be good. What I have used for my tiny slings in vials is a small sewing needle and I just push it through (i use the orange pill vials which are pretty soft plastic so easy to poke through). If it's a harder plastic than you'll probably need to heat the metal up or get an extremely thin drill bit.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I tend to use a thumb tack to poke holes through the lid. For a tarantula that size the holes are perfect.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Depends on the material etc, how good you want it to look. I like clean looking holes, so I drill everything.