1-3 Instar Sling Care?

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Can anyone with experience describe how to adequately care for young spiders? Do they like things moister than their older counterparts, or can they handle the same conditions as more mature individuals? Also, will they accept prekill, or are fruit flies and other minute feeders a must? The specific species in question is GBB, if that helps at all.

Thanks,

Orchidlove

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
i kept mine dry and fed it chopped meal worm chunks until it was big enough to eat whole worms and small crickets.as for water i would just use a syringe to drop water onto its webbing and the fake leaves i had in its cage for it to drink every few days. and also kept a bottle cap in its cage to for a water dish that it never used it liked to drink from its webbing instead even though it had the option of a water dish

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
You picked an awesome T for your 1st. Dry sub and a water dish filled with water. I always used superworms and mealworms for them when they were 1/2" DLS (diagonal leg span). I would crush the head and then cut 1 ring of superworm off and put it in the enclosure on the ground. I always use the rule of thumb "feed your T something the size of it's abdomen or slightly larger" because I enjoy feeding them as much as possible. So, just 1 ring of a large superworm was plenty for 1 feeding.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
You picked an awesome T for your 1st. Dry sub and a water dish filled with water. I always used superworms and mealworms for them when they were 1/2" DLS (diagonal leg span). I would crush the head and then cut 1 ring of superworm off and put it in the enclosure on the ground. I always use the rule of thumb "feed your T something the size of it's abdomen or slightly larger" because I enjoy feeding them as much as possible. So, just 1 ring of a large superworm was plenty for 1 feeding.
While it isn’t my first T, it is my first time raising any this small before. I’ve raised a GBB before, though it arrived in my care as a subadult. Just to confirm, you can keep the spiderlings dry as well? What do you suggest using as a water dish for slings <1/2?

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Also, what do you suggest keeping them in?

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Depends on species, for GBB I'd keep in a 3oz container like sauce cups and feed prekilled tiny crickets.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Slings generally aren't ready to sell until they reach 2nd instar.

I kept mine in a well ventilated 10oz deli cup with about 1/3 of the sub moistened, once they reach 3cm DLS they can be kept on bone dry sub with a water dish. They will happily take pre-killed mini mealworms/roach nymphs (cutting up larger prey will work too), I've never bothered with stuff like fruit flies/bean weevils.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Good information in these threads:

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Definitely give the two threads mentioned a good read though!!
But for your little GBB you can keep like up to half moist and half dry with a water dish, and offer pre killed prey segements or pinhead roach nymphs at that size. Thats both of what i did and they were fine. Mine was about the size of a thumbnail when I got it, and I kept it in a deli cup for a molt and then moved it to a 3.25x3.25x4in amac box till it was about 2.5in, and then rehoused it into a 5x7x5in container, and it will stay there until its around 4 in.