1.2cm sling closed of hide and not eating or drinking...

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
Hi i have a question my 1.2cm g. pulchra sling who i have had for about 2 months was in a small enclosure where she was eating but was in a wierd hole that kept getting destroyed whenever i opened it to feed due to the type of enclosure, so i moved her to a new enclosure thats slightly bigger. She adopted the hide that i gave her which was slightly too big for her but she closed of the enterance partially so it was more snug, she ate a few times in the new enclosure, id say two or three times. Then she closed it off completely, i know she is not comeing out at night as i have left pre kill out for her every couple of days and kept the waterdish full but nothings been touched, i can see into her hide from behind because its up against the glass and she does move around a bit and changes the layout of her burrow a bit occasionally, but she has been like this for about 3 weeks. My question is this do you think its premolt? this seems unlikely because my other sling of the same size usually is in premolt for a week tops and they are supposed to have comprable growth rates, the pulchras been 3 weeks in there so do you think shes fasting at such a small size? or do you think she is stressed from being in the slightly bigger enclosure should i move her? im worried that shes not comeing out to drink and dont know what to do, how do i make sure she stays hydrated?

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Pulchras are notoriously slow in everything they do - ESPECIALLY molting. Premolt can last for quite a while with these guys, even at small sizes, and all behavior indicates that's what is going on here. Leave her be, maybe once a week leave prekilled prey and keep the waterdish full. Maybe dribble a very small amount near her hide. If she needs something, she will come out. Slings know how to sling. ;)

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
Pulchras are notoriously slow in everything they do - ESPECIALLY molting. Premolt can last for quite a while with these guys, even at small sizes, and all behavior indicates that's what is going on here. Leave her be, maybe once a week leave prekilled prey and keep the waterdish full. Maybe dribble a very small amount near her hide. If she needs something, she will come out. Slings know how to sling. ;)
Thanks for responding!! im just thinking she doesent look that round or any darker than she usually does.... (shes allways kind of brown), what im really tryna figure out is how likely it is shes stressed from being in a 2 big enclosure. But if u think its premolt well thats fantastic news! id love for her to molt.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for responding!! im just thinking she doesent look that round or any darker than she usually does.... (shes allways kind of brown), what im really tryna figure out is how likely it is shes stressed from being in a 2 big enclosure. But if u think its premolt well thats fantastic news! id love for her to molt.
G.pulchra actually gets more brownish/washed out black when nearing a moult. Their new coat looks jet black.
Also, a spider that size can drink from a waterdish without you noticing any change in waterlevel ;)

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
G.pulchra actually gets more brownish/washed out black when nearing a moult. Their new coat looks jet black.
Also, a spider that size can drink from a waterdish without you noticing any change in waterlevel ;)
even when they are this small? brown means they are molting? 1.2cm is not big at all lol and im 100% sure she is not comeing out from her burrow u dont understand how much substrate is piled in the entrance, and i leave food on the outside of the pile and it doesent move so she is not breaking through the pile. But yeah its been 3 weeks im getting worried lol im new to the hobby only have 2 and there both around 1cm. Why cant the pulchra be more like my albiceps i never have any worries about him, he eats freqently doesent burrow doesent flick and each time he has molted (twice) he has been in premolt for only a week, golden child could not wish for a nicer first t.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
even when they are this small? brown means they are molting? 1.2cm is not big at all lol and im 100% sure she is not comeing out from her burrow u dont understand how much substrate is piled in the entrance, and i leave food on the outside of the pile and it doesent move so she is not breaking through the pile. But yeah its been 3 weeks im getting worried lol im new to the hobby only have 2 and there both around 1cm. Why cant the pulchra be more like my albiceps i never have any worries about him, he eats freqently doesent burrow doesent flick and each time he has molted (twice) he has been in premolt for only a week, golden child could not wish for a nicer first t.
that's just the Grammostola genus for you slow growth n long fasting periods before moult

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I know it is small, that's why you don't see the waterlevel change. They generally don't drink a lot at this size.
Your spider is doing fine, doing what it should. They can go loooooong without food. If you're worried about your setup you can post pictures so we can look with you.
Don't be all too optimistic about your B.albiceps, that species is notorious for long fasts and slow growth ;)

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
Its going to molt. No worries. I had 2 B. emilia slings disappear for 6 months, and with in a week they both came out.

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
Lool i spend the last 2 weeks telling myself not to make this post as i have done loads of research and lowkey knew it was normal, but still got stressed about hydration so after nearly a month of worrying i make this post and the next day..... its on his back!! thanks everyone who responded il let u know it goes!

Wormtail39

Arachnoknight
I know it is small, that's why you don't see the waterlevel change. They generally don't drink a lot at this size.
Your spider is doing fine, doing what it should. They can go loooooong without food. If you're worried about your setup you can post pictures so we can look with you.
Don't be all too optimistic about your B.albiceps, that species is notorious for long fasts and slow growth ;)
Oh man the day my albiceps stopps being a good boi il be sad :(