1/2" P. auratus 2 weeks in premolt?

omni

Arachnobaron
Never thought I'd make a post like this lol. I got a Phormictopus auratus sling couple weeks ago, very tiny and saw it is unlike other P. species I've kept. I understood they are more timid on average compared to the other sp. I've had 4 cancerides and 1 green sp. so far of all sizes. After unboxing and watching it for a couple days, I fed it a pinhead roach, which it ran from then took it. Next day, it sealed up it's burrow and I haven't seen it since. 2 weeks exactly now, and makes me feel like a worried new T owner again haha.
I thought all Phormics were quick about just about everything they do, incl molting. Esp at this size, I'd think it'd be done and over with by 8 or 10 days, ready to be a bigger spider and get the next meal haha.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
@Tomoran just made a video about all his Phormictopus species and he said that his P. auratus burrowed more and longer than any other of his P. species. So, it seems to be the deal with this species. ;)

omni

Arachnobaron
good find! somehow I had this notion members of a genus were pretty much the same, only looking different but this old dog is still learning. TYSM!

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
My P.southern hispaniola slings took a long time in their premoult as well, 3-4weeks. But once the moulting started, they fell like dominos, the last one of the 8 slings moulted last night.

Just takes time.

I’m looking forward to getting a group of the Phormictopus auratas, so any specific species insights that you glean as your sling grows...would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your quarantine.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Never thought I'd make a post like this lol. I got a Phormictopus auratus sling couple weeks ago, very tiny and saw it is unlike other P. species I've kept. I understood they are more timid on average compared to the other sp. I've had 4 cancerides and 1 green sp. so far of all sizes. After unboxing and watching it for a couple days, I fed it a pinhead roach, which it ran from then took it. Next day, it sealed up it's burrow and I haven't seen it since. 2 weeks exactly now, and makes me feel like a worried new T owner again haha.
I thought all Phormics were quick about just about everything they do, incl molting. Esp at this size, I'd think it'd be done and over with by 8 or 10 days, ready to be a bigger spider and get the next meal haha.
IME this speicies grows mutch more slowly than the typical P cancerides. They seems to be less defenssive too

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I thought all Phormics were quick about just about everything they do, incl molting.
No, when people say Phormics are fast growers it's not not because they moult often, it's because they put on a lot of size with each moult.