1” Idiothele Mira Sling Not Eating?

nauseous

Arachnopeon
I received an I. Mira sling a month ago, and about a few days after receiving it, it moulted from 1/2” to 1” (leg span). Since then, it has only eaten once (half a pre-killed mealworm 3 weeks ago), but that was only because I had to rehouse it and it was above the substrate.

I’ve tried to give it some pre-killed mealworms, small live wax worms and live pinhead crickets while it’s under it’s burrow/trapdoor (either by leaving it in front of the hole/trapdoor or rustling it’s hole/trapdoor a little bit), but it always gets spooked by it’s food items. I’ve only recently seen it’s toes stick out a few times, but immediately when food plops down, it hides back into it’s burrow. I’m really worried about it, as it’s abdomen is quite skinny for it’s length.

I’ve heard that they are good eaters, so this behaviour seems to be a bit unusual. I’ve housed it into 5 inches of dry substrate (it has utilized 2.5 inches of it) with a tiny water dish, and the temperature is usually around 22-24 degrees Celsius (24 during the day and 22 during the night). It’s a bit ironic that as an Old World species, it’s more skittish than any of my other New Worlds.

I don’t believe it’s going through pre-moult as it moulted not too long ago. Perhaps I am missing something? What can I do to get it to eat? Raising a baboon/I. Mira sling, have any of you encountered this predicament?

Last edited:

nauseous

Arachnopeon
Theyre greatveaters, but very easily startled....they respond to movement, they generally feed best on live, active prey, like red runners or crickets.

The burrow is protected, so you can just leave a cricket run around till it gets eaten.

Will the cricket hurt it?? I’m so worried about it :( have you experienced this type of behaviour before? It has been fasting for 3 weeks already..

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Nothing to worry about. Just leave the cricket overnight and remove it in the morning if it hasn't been eaten, then try again in a few days. Old Worlds can be finicky to the point where they don't like to be watched while their eating, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It’s a bit ironic that as an Old World species, it’s more skittish than any of my other New Worlds.
Why is this ironic? This is one of the main differences generally between OW and NW, ie OW are more skittish, and faster generally. I suggest you read up on Ts as you are new. Your Ts life depends on your level of interest in reading about them.

They are exceptionally good eaters. When their toes are at their burrow entrance they are definitely are their most hungriest. But, I've watched my mira stalk crix from under her tunnel many times, it's quite cool.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I don’t believe it’s going through pre-moult as it moulted not too long ago. Perhaps I am missing something? What can I do to get it to eat? Raising a baboon/I. Mira sling, have any of you encountered this predicament?
Since it molted, have you ever seen its legs sticking out of the burrow? That's how I know mine is hungry.

Mine spooks easily but has a great feeding response. It usually takes the prey (dubia roach nymphs) within 15 seconds of my closing the lid, disappearing into the burrow with its meal.