0.1 C. schioedtei - should I buy it?

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +
I've recently bought 3 C. schioedtei spiderlings because I absolutely want a female. Now I've heard that Cyriopagopus produces significantly more males than females. Soooo, how good are my chances at having a female among the spiderlings?
If you guys think my chances are bad I would try to get a juvenile female - I've seen two on offer for a very good price. The thing is I don't have much space left, so if I don't buy that female I may use the space for a C. sp. hatihati of a Lampropelma nigerrimum or...
What should I do?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
id go for the juvi females, maybe try to sell the unsexed ones. not worth the risk if you can get a confirmed 0.1 practically for free if you sell the slings.

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +
I'm terribly bad at selling spiders - once I have them I love them and they are MINE :bag:.
But I think you are right, I'll still try to get one of the females.

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +
Both female C. schioedtei were already sold when I asked :(
So instead I just reserved a female juvenile Lampropelma borneo black from my favorite vendor. I'm going to pick it up at the expo next month :happy:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Buy an 0.1 Aphonopelma caniceps instead. They are cheaper ;)

Look it up

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +
Buy an 0.1 Aphonopelma caniceps instead. They are cheaper ;)

Look it up
I looked it up - but why an Aphonopelma? They are actually practically impossible to get in Germany - I haven't seen an A. caniceps in years - and certainly not cheaper. No.... L. black is great :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ahh I thought you would be looking Europe wide.

They go by the same common name as B. schro. There was a good few breedings of A. caniceps in Europe a couple years back, I still have a couple females, one of which picked up last year. It was just a suggestion as they are known as 'The poor mans pulchra' and are usually cheaper than B. schro.

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +
Ah, ok. 'The poor man's pulchra' :astonished:. I've a couple of juvenile pulchras and a B. schro. and I love them but I wanted something more challenging now ;). But Aphonopelma is really a rare genus around here (exept seemanni). Now if I could find a moderatum...

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@boina you will have to forgive me ajjjaja. I have read this whole thread as B. shroederi instead of C. shiodtei. I have a really bad dyslexia. Wooops :sorry::p

I now know what you mean by more challenging, and Lampropelma apologies friend :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
Ah, ok. 'The poor man's pulchra' :astonished:. I've a couple of juvenile pulchras and a B. schro. and I love them but I wanted something more challenging now ;). But Aphonopelma is really a rare genus around here (exept seemanni). Now if I could find a moderatum...
Bicoloratum is by far the most desirable IMO. The one Aphonopelma I have always wanted. Moderatum is pretty sweet though...just not as cool as bicoloratum.

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +
:rofl:!!! Now I understand! You had me confused there for an minute. No need to apologize! It all makes sense now :D

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +
Bicoloratum is by far the most desirable IMO. The one Aphonopelma I have always wanted. Moderatum is pretty sweet though...just not as cool as bicoloratum.
Bicoloratum looks a bit like B. boehmei in coloring, just A LOT more expensive. But there is nothing that looks quite like a moderatum. And I like the more subtle colors :D

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +
Pre-ordered a Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus for the expo next month, too. It's a very small juvenile (1.5 cm body length), but the breeder swears it's a sexed female. Since I don't know the breeder I don't really know how realiable he is, so I just hope he's trustworthy... Like most everyone else I've had my share of 'females' turning out to be males.

But I really wanted that P. ecclesiasticus. It will go well with my irminia and cambridgei ;)

creepa

Arachnoknight
Both female C. schioedtei were already sold when I asked :(
So instead I just reserved a female juvenile Lampropelma borneo black from my favorite vendor. I'm going to pick it up at the expo next month :happy:
I know a guy who is going to Hamm and sells 0.3 C. schioedtei with a 2.5cm kl. at €20.- a each...

He is German but lives here in the Netherlands, Maybe you can contact him.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I know a guy who is going to Hamm and sells 0.3 C. schioedtei with a 2.5cm kl. at €20.- a each...

Thorsten?
@boina , if it is above person, he is extremely reliable and friendly in contact. :)

boina

Lady of the mites
Arachnosupporter +

Thorsten?
@boina , if it is above person, he is extremely reliable and friendly in contact. :)
Aargh! This morning I got an email from one of the breeders I contacted about the C. schiodtei and he told me if I was still interested I could have it because his former attempt to sell it fell through. I just confirmed that I still wanted it before coming on here...
Thank you so much for your help, but now I feel I have to keep my word to this guy from this morning.

Really bad timing on my part. :eek: