“Why a pet tarantula?”

Elagabalus

Arachnopeon
Ok, just a bit of fun ...so we’d love to hear your guys answers to this old (and boring) question...
“Why would you want to keep a pet tarantula?” ...

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Also, there are so many unique and beautiful species to choose from, and they are so low maintenance that it's no big deal at all to have several of them.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
The most basic...

The reason any one keeps any pet....we love them a lot

Coradams

Arachnoknight
Certain relatives don't ask to "crash at your place" if they know they will have to sleep in a dark room full of giant spiders.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Agreed on the beautiful and fascinating. Other great reasons we started:

1. No vet bills
2. No medicines needed
3. Very low cost to maintain relative to most other "traditional pets"
4. You can keep a lot in a relatively small amount of space
5. Very low up front cost
6. Awesome feeding videos
7. Wonderful way to teach kids about respect for observational animals

And lastly, and on a more personal note, they're generally much like my wife and I's business, so I have a soft spot for them. They follow an ideology that we teach called "The 3 M's":

Mysterious - Not many folks know too much about them, unless you're an avid keeper. Even then, sometimes we still don't quite understand what makes them "tick".
Misunderstood - 98% of the population believe that some/all of them can/will kill you. They only know what they hear, and FEAR IS TAUGHT. Our child will never know that fear, or fear of any other "creepy crawlies" because we won't allow it. He loves tarantulas, and cockroaches, and all animals/insects/etc because we choose for him to be informed rather than ignorant and afraid. Respect for animals in general goes a long way.
Misrepresented - Tarantula horror films show them all large, aggressive, and almost always some black or brown variant. They often get portrayed as aggressive and voracious killers, both a threat to crickets and humans alike. It's not uncommon that people fear spiders and specifically tarantulas, only because of what hollywood and misinformation has caused. Rather than be fearful of something, do a bit of research and find out why it scares you and maybe why it shouldn't. That goes for anything, not just T's.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Because I am a crazy dog lady already, why not add some variety to the mix?

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Dog people arent crazy...we are the normal ones:) View attachment 373482
That dog is a solid unit! But in all honesty, I've been quite taken with the elegance of tarantulas my whole life. It's amazing that I am now able to observe some of the most beautiful creatures I've ever seen from the comfort of my own home. Yes dogs, that includes you guys too! 🧡

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I don’t keep tarantulas, they keep me. ;) I know so because they stay at home all day while I go to work to bring them food and water when needed.

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
"My apartment's too small to keep a horse in and wolves are expensive to keep. I thought about getting an orca and keeping it in my bathtub but then I saw "Blackfish" and omg, have you ever seen "Blackfish?" It was so good.! I love documentaries! There's one called "The Imposter" that was just so freaky, I think it's on Amazon...."
And so on, until they forget what the question was and never ask again.
If you have to ask, you probably aren't my kind of person.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
"My apartment's too small to keep a horse in and wolves are expensive to keep. I thought about getting an orca and keeping it in my bathtub but then I saw "Blackfish" and omg, have you ever seen "Blackfish?" It was so good.! I love documentaries! There's one called "The Imposter" that was just so freaky, I think it's on Amazon...."
And so on, until they forget what the question was and never ask again.
If you have to ask, you probably aren't my kind of person.
epic ADHD right there, well played