“Room temperature”

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Greetings~ I’m still very new to the hobby. Today I wanna discuss about temperature.
I own B. smithi, C. versicolor and a P. irminia all slings, and I’m wondering if my room temperature is a bit too low for them to thrive. The thing is that my room has really inconsistent heating, my heater turns on and off when ever it pleases to. Sometimes keeping my room warm and cozy, while sometimes not turning on when it’s staring to get a bit cool. I don’t have the specific measuring of my general room temperature, but I would say it’s not so cold that it would kill me Ts, but I won’t think it would be health for the long run.
So I have a few questions, I have a little bit of a hunger strike going on with my Ts, at first I thought maybe pre-molt, but now I’m wondering might the temperature be the reason? Also, I ordered a heat pad, and I am aware that it is not the best option. But if I had to use it, what is the best way to install it with out a risk of burning? (What I have in mind is setting it on the wall, and mine my enclosure infront of it but not touching it, so it warms up the air)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I leave to others (since I've never used, nor I don't use those devices) the heat pad part. I have my opinions about the issue, but here a lot of valid keepers, from UK mostly, use those without issues of all sorts, so IMO it's fair to leave to said keepers the explanation about.

My question for you is this (ain't joking, I swear) sorry man, but wouldn't be reasonable, first, to call someone for check your whole heathing system?

Anyway, if you can manage to obtain a good (at least) 22/23° C Day would be ok.

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Fair point about getting it fixed, I think eventually we will. (Cause I’m just resting a room from my friends) Ill try keeping in in that range you mentioned, I have a thermometer arriving from amazon tmr, so I could do a specific reading of my room temp.
Thanks~

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I will never again use a heat pad. I lost a scorpion because of one. It was the smallest heat pad only 4 watts, installed correctly on the side above the substrate. I had been using a heat emitter which he loved, would sit under it all day but since I have cats I didn't feel safe leaving it on while I was at work. Stupid me. My scorpion cuddled up against the glass with the pad and within a couple of hours he had gone into hiding, I checked on him and his legs weren't working well on one side, the next morning he was dead. The temperature in the tank was only 85 F, but the glass must have been much hotter. This was a perfectly healthy active animal, it's terrible to lose one but 10 times worse when you know it's your fault.

Last edited:

Mojo288

Arachnoknight
Space heater, been said before.

If your temps are 70 plus you shouldn't even bother IMO, it's just adding another thing that could go wrong.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Your temps sound like what I have going on in my office. Old building, old HVAC system, it
will be cold one day and sweltering the other. I use a Lasko space heater that is set up to kick on when the temperature gets below about 70 degrees and this makes me and my T happy. You don't need it too hot for Ts, and also for slings, going below 70 can be too cold.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Since you're in the US, hook up a space heater and you'll be fine. Keep it above 20°C during the day and above 18°C during the night. :)

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
Thanks a lot guys, my thermometer has arrived, and it's reading 21°C (with heater on). So... might run into issues when the heater turns off... So apparently it was too cold, would that be the reason why my Ts are eating less?

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thanks a lot guys, my thermometer has arrived, and it's reading 21°C (with heater on). So... might run into issues when the heater turns off... So apparently it was too cold, would that be the reason why my Ts are eating less?
That can be a reason, yes. Lower temperatures= slower metabolism. They probably don't move much as well. Everything slows down.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I did get a practical lesson from my T's last night about their temperature preferences. It got down to a little less than 70F (21C) in my T room so I turned on the space heater. I went in a couple hours later when the temperature had risen to about 80F (26C) and all but one of my T's, even my P. Muticus, were hanging on the sides of their enclosures. So, although as stated above, reasonably lower temps are no danger, at least mine let me know what they prefer. Except my K. Brunnipes who might have her own space heater wherever she stays, or maybe she went south for the winter, I wouldn't know.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I did get a practical lesson from my T's last night about their temperature preferences. It got down to a little less than 70F (21C) in my T room so I turned on the space heater. I went in a couple hours later when the temperature had risen to about 80F (26C) and all but one of my T's, even my P. Muticus, were hanging on the sides of their enclosures. So, although as stated above, reasonably lower temps are no danger, at least mine let me know what they prefer. Except my K. Brunnipes who might have her own space heater wherever she stays, or maybe she went south for the winter, I wouldn't know.
Exactly! All my spiders hang out on the sides where the heatcable is as well. Of course, this can be a risky thing when the source of heat is too hot and/or close to the enclosure.

cold blood

Staff member
I had been using a heat emitter which he loved, would sit under it all day
I turned on the space heater. I went in a couple hours later when the temperature had risen to about 80F (26C) and all but one of my T's, even my P. Muticus, were hanging on the sides of their enclosures.
These posts define exactly why direct heat sources are dangerous. Like a moth drawn to a flame, a t is drawn to heat...and just the same, its drawn to its detriment. Any animal directly drawn to heat is at risk with a direct heat source.

To use the pad, you need to turn it into a secondary heat. Do this by heating a large enclosure with the pad, and placing the other enclosures within the larger heated one.

Another alternative (and one I think is one of the best options) would be to set up a heat bath. With the bottoms of the enclosures submerged in heated water...water dissipates heat, so no hot or cold spots, and aquarium heaters are inexpensive, cheap to run and accurate.

Or just use a space heater...that's what most of us do.