“Robusta”

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Okay so there’s been a ton, I mean a TON of convos about what “robusta” is and what it means, and if it’s even a usable name. Here’s a basic Q/A rundown:

Q: Is “robusta” the proper scientific name?

A: No, robusta isn’t the scientific name for this pede, especially not currently.

Q: Is selling under “robusta” appropriate?

A: Yes, robusta is the known name for this specific pede, and until it’s properly described as a set species, it’ll most definitely stay this way.

Q: Is “robusta” galapagoensis (actual island)?

A: I can’t say exactly, but it’s physically identical to the other large Peruvian pedes that sell under the same name.

Q: Why is it occasionally called, “Scolopendra crudelis?”

A: It was imported under this name from Peru in the past and the name wasn’t long lived, but the name occasionally surfaces on the internet. Recently a Chinese breeder labeled his “robusta” brood as “crudelis” and it confused a bunch of people. This name doesn’t have a specific place in the hobby at the moment.

Q: Why care about this stuff?

A: Because it’s always good to be informed and educated.

Q: Why are they so expensive?

A: Because the importers charge wholesellers lots of money and sellers have to make a profit. Just consider that sellers only make $50-75 on each SA giant sale.

(If any of this is wrong, tell me I’m wrong)

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Very informative, thank you. I'm not a huge Pede guy, but these are amazing.

So they should simply be labelled S sp robusta?

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Very informative, thank you. I'm not a huge Pede guy, but these are amazing.

So they should simply be labelled S sp robusta?
Thanks man! You can do S. galapagoensis “robusta”, S. galapagoensis “orange form” or S. “robusta.” All apply and mean the same thing

basin79

ArachnoGod
The south American pedes are alsorts of messed up.

I have a viridicornis that's not a viridicornis. To me it doesn't matter as all I wanted was "the Peruvian giant centipede" but as a group of inverts that are becoming more and more popular to own it'd be nice if those in charge actually sorted them out.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
The south American pedes are alsorts of messed up.

I have a viridicornis that's not a viridicornis. To me it doesn't matter as all I wanted was "the Peruvian giant centipede" but as a group of inverts that are becoming more and more popular to own it'd be nice if those in charge actually sorted them out.
They’re pretty well sorted out, but sellers mislabel. Trapps been selling his dark banded “robusta” pedes for a while, but while not being correct, it’s easy to refer to.

basin79

ArachnoGod
They’re pretty well sorted out, but sellers mislabel. Trapps been selling his dark banded “robusta” pedes for a while, but while not being correct, it’s easy to refer to.
So I've got a dark banded robusta then. That's good to know.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
When I win the lottery, I’ll pay for your Pedes.
Thanks bro. ;)

I could see myself selling every tarantula I own and go full into pedes .they fascinate me, but it's just too expensive.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Thanks bro. ;)

I could see myself selling every tarantula I own and go full into pedes .they fascinate me, but it's just too expensive.
Canada has alternans and dehaani around every once in a while. You might be able to find something on occasion, but I really don’t know.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Just a side note: should I do more of these types of posts? Like clearing up muddy taxon and stuff like that? I feel like I finally grasp everything that’s apparent in the hobby and I’m not completely flipped upside down.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Canada has alternans and dehaani around every once in a while. You might be able to find something on occasion, but I really don’t know.
There's okay selection. Just the price and supply is kinda a pain.

http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/price.php

This is the only dealer in Canada I know of that has pedes often.

Absolutely. I add these kinds of threads to my home page for later revision. Very helpyhe.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I'm sitting here in Australia laughing at you guys...I've never paid over $30 for a pede, and usually pay less than $20.

Edit: $400 for S. heros?! That's SA pede prices!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm sitting here in Australia laughing at you guys...I've never paid over $30 for a pede, and usually pay less than $20.

Ah ah, yeah... bit of solace, at least here in Europe the 'classical' and common Asian 'pedes (so S.subspinipes, S.dehaani) are very low priced, definitely less than in the U.S - but in the U.S, inverts talking, almost everything is more or less unsanely priced.

Northern American/Central/Southern American 'pedes, anyway, here are priced as heck as well, altough I would never pay so much for a desert U.S 'pede.

NYAN

Arachnoking

That’s CAD though. Both of My scolopendra heros arizonensis were $145. Canada is very expensive still. I saw them selling arizonensis plings for $75.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
There's okay selection. Just the price and supply is kinda a pain.

http://www.tarantulacanada.ca/price.php

This is the only dealer in Canada I know of that has pedes often.

Absolutely. I add these kinds of threads to my home page for later revision. Very helpyhe.
Arachnophiliacs just had some Alipes (ie feather tail) for $40 or $45. Think they're $60 or something now....I picked up a couple. Not sure you can ever have enough dehaani though, and they're pretty available.

I was surprised at the Western Canada Expo how many independent folks had one or two just on a table for $50. By surprised I mean one or two tables I wasn't expecting any centipedes at.