“LP” Questionnaire

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
I’m new to the T world, & like most we look to the internet for info on how to care for them. My search ultimately led me to this forum, where I find out 70-80% of the info I researched is useless. I learned enough over the last few days about Avic care. I thought I’ve read enough on LP care, which seems pretty easy but I’m guessing the online care sheets for that species is flawed also. With that being said, I have a series of questions I wanna ask you guys about LP care just to get an idea of the correct way to do things. Any and all replies are appreciated!!! Remember I’m only asking about L.Parahybana, thanks.

Do you keep the substrate dry or moist?

Do you mist the tank or just overflow water dish?

Do you moisten one side of enclosure or do you just moisten one corner?

Do you use sphagnum moss or just a water dish(without overflowing) for humidity?

Do you worry about cross ventilation or it’s not as important for this species?

Predacons5

Arachnosquire
Have you seen this video of Lasiodora parahybana in the wild? Maybe it can give you an idea of their care.

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
Dry with water dish after 2 inch DLS. Slings with slightly moist substrate.
Overflow. No T requires misting.
Substrates near water dish will be moist.
Do you use sphagnum moss or just a water dish(without overflowing) for humidity?
Water dish.
I don't think it matters, but more cross ventilation never hurts especially when you are new to the hobby.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Most people will keep them on fairly dry substrate, with a water dish that they overflow so that one side of the tank is moister than the other.

No to the moss.
Ventilation is almost always a good thing;-)

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Just a weekly water dish overflow is what I do. Get an a genics, you won't regret it.

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
Dry with water dish after 2 inch DLS. Slings with slightly moist substrate.

Overflow. No T requires misting.

Substrates near water dish will be moist.

Water dish.

I don't think it matters, but more cross ventilation never hurts especially when you are new to the hobby.
Thanks for the insight. Very helpful

Just a weekly water dish overflow is what I do. Get an a genics, you won't regret it.
Bout to look into that species!!! Got any good links for me??

Last edited by a moderator:

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Well
Bout to look into that species!!! Got any good links for me??
Not really but I keep them like alot of species, I overflow the water dish here and there. No issues, not rocket science. Drop the feeders in from a safe distance and watch em go!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I’m only asking about L.Parahybana, thanks.
Dry with a water dish.
I never mist, I just overflow the water dish and let it dry out.
Mostly just overflow the water dish, but in the winter I would make the spot bigger to encompass the entire corner, or a bit bigger.
Water dish with overflowing.
I give everyone the same amount of cross ventilation. I have two rows of holes on all four sides and holes in the lid.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
If you have never owned a t they might be kind of intimidating so it could be better to start with a brachy but if you watch your fingers you should be fine

cold blood

Staff member
As adults they do fine kept dry...but they aren't picky and you could also keep it partly damp. A good plan is to keep it dry in summer and partially damp in winter, when the air is really dry.
Misting shouldn't be done as part of husbandry, its really just for easy drinking opportunities, and for an LP, completely unnecessary.

You get the popular "over flow the water dish" a lot, and while it works, its actually not the best plan. Doing this keeps the area around the dish perpetually damp, making it a potential beacon for irritants like molds and pests.

A better plan is to rotate the damp area, letting each area dry out periodically.

Best to rotate the damp area...but it really doesn't matter where the damp area is (but again, LPs do fine on dry sub, so damp areas aren't critical to their care).
First off, ignore the term humidity, its not relevant to t keeping, regardless of what the care sheets want you to believe. When you see a t needs humidity, what it really should say, is that it requires damp substrate. Humidity literally 1cm off the ground is completely and totally irrelevant, so don't measure it or worry about it for a second.

Best to just give a water dish. Moss wont hurt anything, but since your t has no moisture requirements, it would just be for show as it wouldn't need to be dampened.

For species kept predominantly dry, especially terrestrials, ventilation is not a critical point of care...No need to do anything special with ventilation like you would for say, an Avic or a moisture dependent Asian species.

Euphoric Arboreal

Arachnopeon
As adults they do fine kept dry...but they aren't picky and you could also keep it partly damp. A good plan is to keep it dry in summer and partially damp in winter, when the air is really dry.

Misting shouldn't be done as part of husbandry, its really just for easy drinking opportunities, and for an LP, completely unnecessary.

You get the popular "over flow the water dish" a lot, and while it works, its actually not the best plan. Doing this keeps the area around the dish perpetually damp, making it a potential beacon for irritants like molds and pests.

A better plan is to rotate the damp area, letting each area dry out periodically.

Best to rotate the damp area...but it really doesn't matter where the damp area is (but again, LPs do fine on dry sub, so damp areas aren't critical to their care).
First off, ignore the term humidity, its not relevant to t keeping, regardless of what the care sheets want you to believe. When you see a t needs humidity, what it really should say, is that it requires damp substrate. Humidity literally 1cm off the ground is completely and totally irrelevant, so don't measure it or worry about it for a second.

Best to just give a water dish. Moss wont hurt anything, but since your t has no moisture requirements, it would just be for show as it wouldn't need to be dampened.

For species kept predominantly dry, especially terrestrials, ventilation is not a critical point of care...No need to do anything special with ventilation like you would for say, an Avic or a moisture dependent Asian species.
Really helpful bro, thanks a lot