“Asian forest” molted into red claws?

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I received this “Asian Forest” for Father’s Day in 2017. This year (on Father’s Day) it finally molted. It is huge. Plus it has red claws. I assumed most black scorpions sold at the LPS as Asian would be of the Heterometrus. Are they any other red clawed black scorpions besides Pandinus cavimanus? I will try to get a better picture. This thing is no longer shy and will chase down male Dubias. I have even got to witness it sting the prey and eat it.

Attachments

FrankiePinchinatti

Arachnoknight
It does take quite a while for their color to completely darken after molting and during that time they will be more of a brownish red so that might be some of what you're seeing. Although it's been almost a month so I'd think the exoskeleton would have been all the way hardened and dark by now.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Can you get a better picture with the scorpion under more light? It is nigh on impossible to try and ID down to the species with a picture of just the chelae and chelicerae at an odd angle, especially when it comes to Heterometrus/Pandinus.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
I received this “Asian Forest” for Father’s Day in 2017. This year (on Father’s Day) it finally molted. It is huge. Plus it has red claws. I assumed most black scorpions sold at the LPS as Asian would be of the Heterometrus. Are they any other red clawed black scorpions besides Pandinus cavimanus? I will try to get a better picture. This thing is no longer shy and will chase down male Dubias. I have even got to witness it sting the prey and eat it.
Based on shape and structure it is deffinitely Heterometrus, they sometimes take ridiculous long time to get dark color back and they sometimes keep a bit of reddish on claws even after that.

Last edited: