‘Undercutting the market’

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I’m not really sure what I think about it to tell you the truth. I really only could form an accurate opinion if I knew what overhead is on running an i very business (I don’t).
All i can do is speculate as well. Even with overhead they probably make more per spider (on average) than the breeder, but that doesn't matter to me i guess. i don't get upset over somebody else getting more than me, as long as i get what was agreed upon.

To each their own. Its hard to put a set value on things like convenience and brand name.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
These animals are already undervalued as it is and selling them for a couple of dollars just contributes to them being even more undervalued. If this were a conversation about any other animal - they would be labelled a back yard breeder.
People hate to see people coming onto forums like this one, with an animal that they have obviously done absolutely no research on, and these cut rate sellers contribute to that. They don't just sell these animals for next to nothing, but they also provide zero customer support to their buyers. They very often refuse to answer care and husbandry questions outright and many of them don't care whether the animal lives or dies. They also couldn't care less if the person has the experience to purchase the more challenging species, either.
Registered dealers have a reputation to uphold and are always available to their clients for any follow up questions or concerns that they have. Hell, dealers end up answering those questions and concerns for people who bought them off cut rate sellers too. I have been there myself - where I have answered questions on a dealer's website from a desperate new keeper who bought their tarantula from someone who refuses to help them. Why shouldn't dealers be compensated for that? Should dealers not get paid for providing customer support? What other industry doesn't factor in the value added items to the cost of their products? All of them do and tarantula dealers should be no different.
I, for one, would like to see the lives of these animals have a lot more value associated with them than they do and selling them for a couple of dollars to someone not equipped with the knowledge to keep them alive isn't going to accomplish that.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
These animals are already undervalued as it is and selling them for a couple of dollars just contributes to them being even more undervalued. If this were a conversation about any other animal - they would be labelled a back yard breeder.
People hate to see people coming onto forums like this one, with an animal that they have obviously done absolutely no research on, and these cut rate sellers contribute to that. They don't just sell these animals for next to nothing, but they also provide zero customer support to their buyers. They very often refuse to answer care and husbandry questions outright and many of them don't care whether the animal lives or dies. They also couldn't care less if the person has the experience to purchase the more challenging species.
Registered dealers have a reputation to uphold and are always available to their clients for any follow up questions or concerns that they have. Hell, dealers end up answering those questions and concerns for people who bought them off cut rate sellers too. I have been there myself - where I have answered questions on a dealer's website from a desperate new keeper who bought their tarantula from someone who refuses to help them.
I, for one, would like to see the lives of these animals have a lot more value associated with them that they do and selling them for a couple of dollars to someone not equipped with the knowledge to keep them alive isn't going to accomplish that.
I don't quite agree. I wasn't saying that they would be sold for a couple dollars, I meant the ones that are being sold for a hundred+ dollars would be sold for cheaper than that. I don't feel like that would be considered 'backyard breeding' whatsoever. I don't agree with species being sold for 100+ dollars even though they've been in the hobby for years and they're still being bred readily. If anything, them being sold for less, would make them readily available. But if it was also breeders who are smart and who care for their animals well being, which I'm sure any of the users on here are, they would give proper care instructions for their animals. It's not just limited to registered dealers, hell, I've had registered dealers not tell me anything about the care of the animals I bought for them. I think you're thinking by this entire topic that the tarantulas themselves would be sold for next to nothing, which isn't the case. They'll be sold for a fair and affordable price, instead of 100s of dollars. Take the European hobby for example, they're sold at a much more fair price than over here in the US and they've been taking just as good care as them as we are.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I don't quite agree. I wasn't saying that they would be sold for a couple dollars, I meant the ones that are being sold for a hundred+ dollars would be sold for cheaper than that. I don't feel like that would be considered 'backyard breeding' whatsoever. I don't agree with species being sold for 100+ dollars even though they've been in the hobby for years and they're still being bred readily. If anything, them being sold for less, would make them readily available. But if it was also breeders who are smart and who care for their animals well being, which I'm sure any of the users on here are, they would give proper care instructions for their animals. It's not just limited to registered dealers, hell, I've had registered dealers not tell me anything about the care of the animals I bought for them. I think you're thinking by this entire topic that the tarantulas themselves would be sold for next to nothing, which isn't the case. They'll be sold for a fair and affordable price, instead of 100s of dollars. Take the European hobby for example, they're sold at a much more fair price than over here in the US and they've been taking just as good care as them as we are.
Unfortunately the price discrepancy is greatly a supply issue. Signigicantly fewer people are breeding them here, additionally, the breeders here obviously want more money for them...

So many of the retailers have to import from europe just to meet demand, which puts their Theoretical break even point for just the animal, at cost PLUS importation fees. (ignoring time, insurance, power bill, deaths, paying employees, food, housing etc) I think the only thing that will truly force the prices down across the board is to increase supply. We seem to be much better at consuming than providing here. the hobby is growing, and fast based on things i have read from others on these boards. Everyone wants a female and males get tossed to the side and nobody wants to breed them (Okay, maybe a bit of exageration but you get the point) but it makes for a very high demand with a short supply which will ALWAYS create higher pricing. Additionally, some species will always be more difficult or time consuming than others and that is liable to increase cost as well.

I would be absolutely THRILLED if we had the same price and availability as Europe, but unfortunately, as long as we are buying from europe, that will never happen (at least not legally)