‘DIY’ vivarium from a 20/30 gallon aquarium?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Planning to convert some 20-30 gallon aquariums into vivariums/terrariums for terrestrial tarantulas. Has anyone done this before? If so, do you mind posting photos?

My plan is to remove the top black frame, bottom frame, remove all the old silicon, put everything back together so that it’s just the glass, then on the side that’s facing up I will cut it in half and remove approx. 3” (and then later apply metal mesh to act as a vent). I’m just unsure how to go about door part. The easiest way would be to create a sliding glass door (what Troy Goldberg did in his video), however, I’d like to make a hinged door that opens towards you (not from the side like traditional doors if that makes sense). Tl;dr: Just looking how everyone has set theirs up if they created terrariums/vivariums from 20-30 gallon aquariums.

Thanks!

pongdict

Arachnosquire
There are conversion kits for sale I believe. It might give you ideas on how to do yours?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, the dart frog guys have been doing aquarium conversions for years. Stan Schultz used to recommend 1/4" Galvanized Hardware Cloth instead of screen, so no claws get stuck.