¿Why won't my jumping spider eat?

SeaRaccoon

Arachnopeon
I've got a small girl, not identified since i caught her in my kitchen, but who i suspect of being a female C. hesperus (White with 4 black spots on cephalothorax)
When i first caught her i gave her a mealworm, which she took, and later i offered food which she refused. I decided to offer food later and today, i put her on a small feeding enclosure (i'm scared of mealworms burrowing so for feeding time i transfer her there, perhaps that's my mistake?) with a mealworm and she looked at it then just ignored it, i took the mealworm out and replaced it with a smaller one, she stalked it then pounced on it but she was off it as soon as she had jumped (attacked then inmediately backed off before the worm even reacted). After that, she ignored it.

I should also mention it's winter and the house is getting colder, despite me turning the AC on on my room and closing the door so the hot air won't get out. I believe i've heard about them slowing down in winter months.

When i first caught her i gave her a mealworm, which she took, and later i offered food which she refused.
How long ago was it that you fed her? You should only feed adult jumping spiders around once a week. If she's refusing food, she probably is full and won't eat for while.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I've got a small girl, not identified since i caught her in my kitchen, but who i suspect of being a female C. hesperus (White with 4 black spots on cephalothorax)
When i first caught her i gave her a mealworm, which she took, and later i offered food which she refused. I decided to offer food later and today, i put her on a small feeding enclosure (i'm scared of mealworms burrowing so for feeding time i transfer her there, perhaps that's my mistake?) with a mealworm and she looked at it then just ignored it, i took the mealworm out and replaced it with a smaller one, she stalked it then pounced on it but she was off it as soon as she had jumped (attacked then inmediately backed off before the worm even reacted). After that, she ignored it.

I should also mention it's winter and the house is getting colder, despite me turning the AC on on my room and closing the door so the hot air won't get out. I believe i've heard about them slowing down in winter months.
A meal worm is a large meal for a jumper. It's probably full.
Feeding am average sized prey item once a week or so is better.

Around 5 days ago was her last meal. I also managed to get a video of when she attacked then left the prey (so sorry for my shaky hands.)
Okay, I would leave her for a few more days and then try again with a small meal. Don't worry about that behavior, my jumping spiders often do that to "size" up their meal, and then later usually eat it. In this case, I think she wasn't hungry enough and decided not to eat it. Also, don't worry about your shaky hands, the video was fine.

SeaRaccoon

Arachnopeon
Okay, I would leave her for a few more days and then try again with a small meal. Don't worry about that behavior, my jumping spiders often do that to "size" up their meal, and then later usually eat it. In this case, I think she wasn't hungry enough and decided not to eat it. Also, don't worry about your shaky hands, the video was fine.
Thank you! I'll try again on 3-4 days.

Jumper

Arachnosquire
SeaRaccoon,

Sometimes our P.Regius or P.Audax will react like this, from our experience if they are full they will stay in their hammock.
We wait for a couple of more days, also stimulate their appetites I would suggest on a sunny day, place their enclosures by the window, but not directly into the sun light. Just enough light for them to come out and sun bath for a while. if they are exploring their enclosure. We slowly lift the enclosure, place their mealworm on a paper towel on the table. We then place the enclosure on top of the paper towel and table and left mother nature's instincts take over.

I hope this helps
-Jumper

Edwardk674

Arachnopeon
Moving the enclosure into bright light can often be the trigger needed to get one feeding. I keep mine under LEDs that are really bright which helps to keep them feeding.

Ed

The spider still hasn't eating, she just does the sizing up prey thing :(
Is she still bloated? (Fat and plump) If so, try again after a few days and try not to bother her too much. She should start eating in a few days. Wait at least 7 days as they eat roughly around once a week.