@WeightedAbyss75 Popular folklore is that they mix two chemicals together that react and get very hot and burn you.
Wikipedia says they spray "Cantharidin, a poisonous chemical that causes blistering of the skin, is used medically to remove warts and is collected for this purpose from species of the genera Mylabris and Lytta, especially Lytta vesicatoria, better known as "Spanish fly"."
@PidderPeets "Don't touch though!"... Too late
They are too interesting not to touch! They do, however, have the ability to secrete a substance that causes blisters on the skin and, if ingested, poisoning (I doubt they could kill a grown person, but a little boy apparently ended up in the ICU after licking his fingers - no, not the box with the paper towels, get that image out of your head !)
They get smashed all over the highway and leave orange spots on the road. Not an easy specimen to pin. I have one in my (dead) bug collection that shriveled up. I guess it needs to be hollowed out and blown up with air before being dried out.