Zoomed excavator clay as a substrate for ts?

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
its not the coco fiber, mites dont just come from no where. i used coco for a long time with no issues. are you spot cleaning? do you have live plants in the room?
I dont have any live plants, i always do remove bolus after they are done eating

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have used it for Ts before with no major problems... I have had many friends use it for scorpions and they never had any complaints either...

I have used it in the pure bag form as the directions state and also as a way to add density to coco and sphagnum for burrowing species... The latter I don't reccomend because every time it gets wet its very sticky and the Ts hated it... Keep it dry and it works great..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The latter I don't reccomend because every time it gets wet its very sticky and the Ts hated it.
I heard something similar on YouTube. Once it the clay is wet again, does it dry back to its original hardness and remain solid? Or does it become crumbly? Basically acting like a loose thread, and before you know it the rest of the material is coming apart too?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I heard something similar on YouTube. Once it the clay is wet again, does it dry back to its original hardness and remain solid? Or does it become crumbly? Basically acting like a loose thread, and before you know it the rest of the material is coming apart too?
It gets a little dusty but holds its shape well... Not sure if that helps.. Lol

Chilobrachyfanatic

Arachnopeon
I've used it mixed with peat in a Monocentropus balfouri enclosure. I had no issues. I wanted something that would harden pretty well. Tarantulas dig through amazingly hard stuff in the wild, and mine had no trouble plowing into this stuff in captivity. My only fear was that some substrates like silica sand can irritate their book lungs. This didn't appear to have any negative effects. Don't try it unless you're going to keep it dry, though. If your only fear is mites, keeping the substrate (any substrate) dry will remove any serious threat from them anyway. This could harbor mites just as easily.
Hey man! Can i see your set up with this? And whats your mixture? Like % wise of clay and cocopeat

I was wondering will it be good if i mix both the clay and cocopeat? I’ll be housing a Chilobrachy

Last edited by a moderator:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Not as simple, inexpensive, and no more effective than topsoil.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
It is a matter of personal preference, and not in anyway wrong to use your stated mixture. However, as I posted, topsoil is much less expensive, much easier, and just as effective. I have several Asian fossorials and I use topsoil exclusively.

Chilobrachyfanatic

Arachnopeon
It is a matter of personal preference, and not in anyway wrong to use your stated mixture. However, as I posted, topsoil is much less expensive, much easier, and just as effective. I have several Asian fossorials and I use topsoil exclusively.
Okay thank you for the output. Appreciate it

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Hey man! Can i see your set up with this? And whats your mixture? Like % wise of clay and cocopeat
Hey there, I broke it down last year and I don't think I had pics. Sorry! I wouldn't recommend it for Chilobrachys or anything that will have moist soil. It gets a bit sticky when wet. It sets up hard when dry, so it's good for sculpting hides for arid species.

I mixed it about 50-50 with peat and it held up and looked nice, but as FrDoc says, topsoil is fine for Chilos. You can use straight coco or peat, too, or mix them. I personally like to mix peat with topsoil. Both are cheap. The peat makes things a little lighter and holds moisture better but the topsoil helps things hold together nicely. Good luck!

Kron

Arachnosquire
I'm considering using this for a Brachypelma emilia or an Aphonopelma calcodes, as it looks just like their natural substrate and in the wild they make huge tunnels and they're desert species:
;

I'm thinking I'll just cover it up a bit with a topsoil-excavator mix to make it a lil safer in case of an accident.

Thoughts?

Chilobrachyfanatic

Arachnopeon
I'm considering using this for a Brachypelma emilia or an Aphonopelma calcodes, as it looks just like their natural substrate and in the wild they make huge tunnels and they're desert species:
;

I'm thinking I'll just cover it up a bit with a topsoil-excavator mix to make it a lil safer in case of an accident.

Thoughts?
i've done excavator and cocopeat works good takes a long time for it to dry up. used 60% cocopeat then 40% excavator