Zoology/Entomology degrees

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Calling all entomologists, especially lecturers, and professors.

After a bloody frustrating week dealing with the likes of the Open University, Learn Direct, UCAS, various U.K. based zoological and entomological soc's and more universities than you can shake a scorpion at. I have come to the conclusion that there is not a SINGLE university or college in the U.K. who offers a distance learning degree course in either zoology or entomology.

I work full time, cannot afford not to work full time, and I cannot afford to go back into full time education. So that leaves distance learning.

Soooo. If anyone knows of a facility that does offer this please tell me.

Now I am prepared to study through universities abroad if they will allow me to do so from home and online, so all you American, Australian, European etc. bug freaks out there, if you know of any courses available in your homelands (as long as they can be taught in English :8o ) please stand up and be counted.

Now I'm going for a drink before I start to cry out of sheer bloody frustration.

Cheers

Matt.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
if you want a degree, you really must make sacrifices..
a sandwich course (part time working) will take up something like 6 years of your life

you will g et very very stressed if you try juggling a degree with full time employment!

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
Hi
if you want a degree, you really must make sacrifices..
a sandwich course (part time working) will take up something like 6 years of your life

you will g et very very stressed if you try juggling a degree with full time employment!
I'm well aware of that. I have done the whole uni thing before. But now I am in full time employment, I do not have the option of working part time. I plain can't afford it.

I'm sure as hell as not going full time. I just cleared the best part of £16k in debts, so I'm not going to uni full time and coming out with another massive debt!

That is why I need a correspondence/distance learning course along the lines of an Open Uni degree. Of course the O.U. doesn't offer the subjects :rolleyes: .

These are usually over 5-6 years. I Dont want to study for any reason other than enjoyment and stimulation.

It would seem that no one in the U.K. offers such a course, hence my appeal for info internationally.

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With entomology you have the issue that access to specimens is an important aspect of the learning process, as such learning from home may not be possible for this subject.

The BMNH offers a one year MSci degree in taxonomy and entomology which might be up your street, its sounds very interesting and the BMNH is a great place to do it, I’m planning to do it myself when my current degree finishes :D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can't speak for England, but here at my entomology department, even the non-thesis masters student is expected to complete a fairly involved research project, it would be impossible to do more than work part-time and pursue the degree. Full-time employment and remaining a student would be out of the question, heck, I'm fighting to get my status reinstated and all I did was have a kid :(

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Greetings Matt.

I concur with the statement that Oliver provided. Be it in the U.S., U.K. or elsewhere a distance degree won't amount to much unless you have access to specimens (labs/museums). In addition, building a resume with field experiences (research assistant) and teaching in the labs (TA/GTA) will help one build skills in the field of entomology, arachnology or any science degree. In graduate level courses and thesis in study, publication becomes of prime importance to be recognized in the field of study esp. along peers.

Also note, for viewers here, that the AAS has a Directory of Sponsors in Arachnology respectively. CLICK

All the best!

Sinc. Chad

AR-Tarantula

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This might not help if you don't already have a B.S. or B.A degree, but the University of Nebraska-Lincoln offers a distance M.S. degree in entomology. If you could finish a B.S. in say biology, this could be an option. All this talk of specimens and publications is all well and good, but most often what it takes to get a position in your field is luck and perserverance (based on personal experience). Getting a paying position in entomology, especially if you are not a squirt and count kind of guy (pest management) is hard but not impossible. If you want it bad enough you will win out in the end. Good Luck!

http://entomology.unl.edu/educatn/distancems.htm

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not actually looking to work as an entomologist (well not yet anyway) I rather enjoy the job I have. I just want to study for the hell of it. I would just find it more constructive to have a structured course to follow, rather than trying to figure it all out on my own.

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
With entomology you have the issue that access to specimens is an important aspect of the learning process, as such learning from home may not be possible for this subject.
Surely this would also be an issue with pure biology or human biology degrees, but both are available as distance learning courses.