1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

ZooKeeper, Austin TX

Discussion in 'Petstore Reviews' started by nexen, Nov 28, 2008.

1. nexen

nexen Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Positive
    http://www.zookeeperexotics.com
    This place is amazing. The selection is great, the people working there are all excellent and take great pride in their animals.
    One particular stand-out person there is "David the spiderman". He is a font of knowledge on tarantulas, particularly local species, and a hell of a nice guy to boot. I cannot recommend this place enough. If you are into exotic pets and live in or are visiting the Austin, TX area you should really check ZooKeeper out.

2. El Viejo

El Viejo Arachnoknight

I don't dare go to this store! I would never make it out with money in my wallet. My son stopped there on the way back to college after the Thanksgiving holidays, and it set him back several hours, as well as a few bucks! He was very impressed with the store, the employees, everything about the place! Actually, I would LOVE to visit Zoo Keeper Exotic Pets, and will next time I go through austin.

3. Positive

David is very knowledgeable and willing to assist you . He does go out of his way to help you even when you aren't buying at the time.

4. Kacey Jennings

Kacey Jennings Arachnosquire

Zookeepers is the ONLY place I will buy tarantula from in Austin. If I have a question about almost any invert/reptile Dave is who I ask. For friendly, knowledgeable staff, and awesome deals, even for rarer species, go to ZK.

5. CUebbing

CUebbing Arachnopeon

I agree. Dave put a lot of effort into explaining and demonstrating the basics to get me started with both tarantulas and scorpions. He is great with my kids, got them interested. This helps for convincing the wife to let me bring some home. :razz:

6. POSITIVE!!!

i can't say enough great things about zookeeper. it seems like everytime i go through austin, i have to stop in and see what new Ts they have for sale, and i usually end up leaving with one or 2. prices are great, and the staff is awesome!! well worth a trip to austin just to visit zookeeper!!

7. Nomadinexile

Nomadinexile Arachnoking

Zoo Keepers Rocks

It's what you want in arachnid store. I know they have other stuff, but they usually have enough arachnids to keep me more than busy and entertained.
    The staff are all to happy to help, and david is very knowledgeable. They always (in my time going) have multiple species slings for under $10! Thats the only downside to Zoo Keepers. Every time I go for crickets, I end up buying a sling! Couldn't get much better. Thanks keepers! Ryan

8. SeanJo

SeanJo Arachnosquire Old Timer

Positive!!!

A few months ago Dave got ahold of my MM Versi for a 50/50 loan and was very good at keeping me updated on the status of his girl and the sack when she made it. When they finally molted into 2nd instars, we were going to meetup halfway between Houston and Austin for him to give me my share, but when I was able to make the trip, he had to work @ Zookeeper, so I decided to just make the 3 hour drive to Austin to check out his store that I've read such great things about. Let me just say that none of the great things are unjustified. There is a really great selection of T's there, from slings to adults, and he was more than happy to pull out a few nice specimens to show me. They also have all kinds of amphibians, reptiles, and cute little furries that just make you say Awwwwwwe. The icing on the cake, though, was that for making the trip Dave gave me 2 free GBB juvi's! What a great guy! I cannot imagine going to Austin without visiting this store in the future! If there is anyone interested in exotic pets in Austin that hasn't visited this store, you are truly missing out.

THANKS DAVE!!!​

9. mothore

mothore Arachnopeon

I went to Zookeepers, yesterday. Supposedly one of the best pet shops in Texas for tarantulas and such. Was pretty clear as to why. The store is amazingly kept stocked with hundreds of Ts of varying genus'.

This was definitely the first time I saw so many spiders in one location.

The only suggestion I have is to mark arrows on the floor so that the mobs of people trying to look at the same stuff are all following a more natural flow.

[​IMG]

<br><br>More in Flickr Photostream

10. oERMACo

oERMACo Arachnopeon

Texas
    Zookeeper

:razz::razz::razz: Well me and my wife went to Austin this weekend to shop, and i had to stop by Zookeeper before i left town because i have read and heard good things about them.:D I stopped by and bought a female Phormictopus cancerides aka Haitian Brown bird eating tarantula. She is about 6in and is a beast:evil::evil::evil: lol too bad that daniel was not there at the time so i could have had gotton a chance to visit with him:(:(, but carlos was cool, funny, and a good sales man!!other than that A++++++++++ if you in Austin texas or just riding threw stop there its a great place actualy see in person!! thanks Zookeeper for a great T:D:D:D:D:D:D:D "ill be back" Arnold Schwarzenegger

;PoERMACo;P

11. Bumblingbear

Bumblingbear Arachnopeon

Texas
    I go to this store all the time - I'm one of the regulars now so I figured I would weigh in on this thread.

Zoo Keeper is the best brick and mortar store for Ts I have ever seen - hands down.

The store treats pets ethically (one of the only stores I have ever seen that covers the glass for new arrivals so they can get settled in) and both the cages and the store are actually clean.

Great place - great people. Very reasonable prices.

This is also a good place to check out fairly often because a lot of folks go in to trade their Ts or sell them when times are hard, so there is a random selection of adult Ts going for good prices at any given time as well.

12. taraction

taraction Arachnosquire

this place just rocks, period. i've been visiting the store regularly for the past 3 or 4 years and rarely walk out empty-handed. the selection is never disappointing and dave is an extremely personable guy and always eager to help. can't recommend the store enough!

13. Spike

Spike Arachnobaron Old Timer

Amazing store! I was able to stop by Zookeeper this last Saturday and was very impressed. Dave is incredibly knowledgeable and made the whole experience very pleasant. The stock was all well taken care of and did I mention the Sloth? :) If you are in Austin it would be very foolish to miss out on the opportunity to check this place out. Be for warned though, very tough not wanting to empty your wallet here :)

14. Solucki

Solucki Arachnoknight

POSITIVE!!!

My new favorite place in Austin for T's. huge selection!! Great prices. Great staff. Around 20-30 different species. I think? My spidey sense is still tingling. I was like kid at a, well... Petstore. I can't wait to go back.

15. Morgonious

Morgonious Arachnopeon

The first, and most important thing in my humble opinion, is the smell... it is clean, fresh, and the animals are very well cared for. We have become regulars there for our feeder needs, slings, juvies, and adults. Dave is amazing - and super helpful. I like to play "What can I get for $50" with him just to see what I will go home with. The prices are reasonable, employees knowledgeable, and animals high quality. If there is a problem with a critter you
    purchase, just talk with them about it - they'll work well with you.

16. Wildwolf

Wildwolf Arachnopeon

Another positive!
    Huge selection of tarantulas, from tiny slings (sometimes 1st instar) and up in size, both NW and OW. Reasonably priced. They also have some adults on display, which I like because as a beginner, it gives me more of a chance to see what these particular species will look like as an adult. I've seen them take out a couple of the more docile adults to let people handle. The staff is friendly and will admit if they don't know something, rather than make something up. For sale tarantulas are kept in appropriately-sized housing under the counter (in the glass display case). All animals look to be healthy in clean enclosures. Even with crickets and ferrets, the store doesn't smell like a typical pet store.
    I got my first tarantula here a little over a month ago and have somehow kept the collection down to 6 so far. I try to make the excuse to go in there about twice a week for crickets for my smaller slings, but have a hard time leaving without anything else!
    Stop in if you're in the area (183 @ Burnet, same shopping center as Sherlock's). It's well worth it. No promises on your wallets condition afterwards, though. ;)

And why has only one other person on here mentioned the sloth? Miss Sophia is iconic! :D

17. Cavedweller

Cavedweller Arachnoprince Active Member

Positive!

It's amazing to find a brick and mortar store so heavily geared towards invertebrates. The staff is very friendly and happy to let visitors hold some of the animals.

Sophia is iconic indeed. Never seen a sloth up close before.

18. Spidergrrl

Spidergrrl Arachnopeon

Zoo Keeper was my introduction to Ts. Dave and the rest of the staff are awesome. Always willing to be of assistance and a great shop altogether. Maybe I should go there today. Maybe right now! :biggrin:

Spidergrrl

19. Spidergrrl

Spidergrrl Arachnopeon

Oh, Curse you Dave! Once again I came in to buy one thing and left with two! How can you be so friendly and helpful. Enticing me to buy more Tarantulas that I will have to explain to my girlfriend. LOL. Thanks again Dave!:laugh:

Oh, if everyone was so cursed to have such a great store so close to home.

Cheers,

Spidergrrl!

20. Texas T

Texas T Arachnopeon

I have heard nothing but great reviews about this pet store. Spoke to Dave over the phone and he was so helpful and provided so much information. Drove over three hours from Kingsville but well worth the drive. I ended up getting 2 Aphonopelma Moderatums and 1 Rose sling for my daughter. The selection of T's that was available was fantastic. It was hard not to leave with only the three I bought. The staff was all friendly and again Dave was a wealth of knowledge. Highly recomend this place.