Zoo-med vs. Exo-terra

CalvinKelly

Arachnopeon
Do you guys have any experience with these? The Zoo med repti-temp automatic controller thing looks interesting, but I'm not sure how well it works?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was going to post basically the same question, you beat me to it!

I want to put my big adult A metallica in a display enclosure. Zoo-Med, Exo-Terra or T-Cages.com?

Who has experience w/ some or all of the above?

It's not a thread-hijack if it's the same question, right?

CalvinKelly

Arachnopeon
haha, yep, same question. I thought that ZooMed controller was awesome that maintains a constant temp. automatically, just don't know how well it works. I had a ZooMed pad with my G. rosea and it discolored the wooden table it sat on top of. But that shouldn't be a problem with this next setup, as I plan on putting it on the back for my arboreal (hopefully I can luck out and get a female C. sp!)

I like Exo-terra the best, personally. Their cages look like they'll make such beautiful displays (and be easy to keep as natural as possible). Currently trying to find out where to get Exo-terra supplies in my other thread.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Exo-Terra's are pretty good for arboreals from what i've heard. They're less than optimal for terrestrials because you can't really fill them as high as they should be for the safety of the T. I don't know about the temp controller on ZooMeds, i don't need it anyway. What i do like about the ZooMeds is the split doors. I've never seen one in person so i wonder if anybody here has used one.

Tcages are more purpose built but i don't like the look as much.

GootyGuy

Arachnopeon
Zoo Med all the way i have 2 of them, 12x12x18 i use for pokies and they work awesome come with a nice background and they offer alot of options if you really want to dress up the look of your T's cage. If you are looking for something a little smaller tarantulacages.com also have great cages. I use one of their large arboreal cages with my Gooty and i really like it.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you guys have any experience with these? The Zoo med repti-temp automatic controller thing looks interesting, but I'm not sure how well it works?
Go with Zoo-med. They seem to be more reliable with the technical stuff that has wiring and all that jazz relating to heating...the repti-temp is actually very easy. Just set it up, place the heat on medium, wait an hour or a couple hours for it to adjust, and keep adjusting untill you reach the desired temp. *It helps if you use a digital thermometer to give you the temperature in the cage too.

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was going to post basically the same question, you beat me to it!

I want to put my big adult A metallica in a display enclosure. Zoo-Med, Exo-Terra or T-Cages.com?

Who has experience w/ some or all of the above?

It's not a thread-hijack if it's the same question, right?
I'd go with the Exo-Terra cage...the 12x12x12 version. You can remove the top, open the doors or one door, or all the options! lol. It is a very nice setup and has helped me do a lot of maintainence on my Heteroscodra without disturbing her too much. That's who I'd go with, but that is my personal opinion. If you have a pet-store that is locally owned, see if you can get a discount on it...they generally do around here. If not, they should cost around $45-50.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just ordered several of tarantulacages.com new design with the front opening and it is awesome. Plenty of room for substrate (6") and lots of room for maintenance. I only have one comment on the auto-temperature thing-most reptiles/inverts like a night-time temp drop. With diurnal reptiles it is easy to achieve with incandescent lighting-when the light goes off one of the heat sources is eliminated and the temp drops. Since you don't use an incandscent light source with inverts, how will you vary the temperature for a night-time drop with the set-up in the cage that was described? Di

NeitherSparky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just ordered several of tarantulacages.com new design with the front opening and it is awesome. Plenty of room for substrate (6") and lots of room for maintenance. I only have one comment on the auto-temperature thing-most reptiles/inverts like a night-time temp drop. With diurnal reptiles it is easy to achieve with incandescent lighting-when the light goes off one of the heat sources is eliminated and the temp drops. Since you don't use an incandscent light source with inverts, how will you vary the temperature for a night-time drop with the set-up in the cage that was described? Di
Thanks for the heads-up, I was hoping he'd make some front-opening cages. :) That'll be my versi's home when he gets bigger.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I could personally give a hoot about internal cage temps. Except with a few species i think temps are overrated for t's. I just keep the room at 70-80 and everybody's happy except my emps and roaches who get individual heat pads. Ventilation is my concern and they seem fine on that front.

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whoa...those are expensive. I know of a front for a 10 gallon that does just about the same thing, for a lot less $ but I'm sworn to secrecy, lol. Just my personal opinion, but I don't really like acrylic, it scratches too easy. One lil slip and shes gouged for life. I'll stick with the 10 dollar 10 gal...56 bucks is just way outa whack as far as I'm concerned.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Whoa...those are expensive. I know of a front for a 10 gallon that does just about the same thing, for a lot less $ but I'm sworn to secrecy, lol. Just my personal opinion, but I don't really like acrylic, it scratches too easy. One lil slip and shes gouged for life. I'll stick with the 10 dollar 10 gal...56 bucks is just way outa whack as far as I'm concerned.
I had to bounce around several considerations while deciding which route to take. Glass tanks are heavy; acrylic are not. 10 gallons is way too large (IMHO) for most even full grown T's, and I like the fact that I can lock Adam's cages (I have 7 active grandkids who help me with my hobby on a supervised basis). I even bought acrylic, latches, adhesive, etc. but it was just too difficult to get everything "square". I'm really happy with these cages and since my T's are kept in a visible area of my home, they will look very nice as well. They were indeed expensive but no more so than the Exo-Terra tank that started this thread and I will be able to keep more of them in my spider cabinet than I could 10 gal tanks or Exo-Terra tanks. Di

bushbuster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had to bounce around several considerations while deciding which route to take. Glass tanks are heavy; acrylic are not. 10 gallons is way too large (IMHO) for most even full grown T's, and I like the fact that I can lock Adam's cages (I have 7 active grandkids who help me with my hobby on a supervised basis). I even bought acrylic, latches, adhesive, etc. but it was just too difficult to get everything "square". I'm really happy with these cages and since my T's are kept in a visible area of my home, they will look very nice as well. They were indeed expensive but no more so than the Exo-Terra tank that started this thread and I will be able to keep more of them in my spider cabinet than I could 10 gal tanks or Exo-Terra tanks. Di
Well, you're an addict, and thats very good justify...ing lol. This front can also be built for a 5 1/2 gal, as I agree, a 10 is a bit large, but I'm going to house my P ornata in one, due to her increasingly large legspan. I would choose Tcages.com over the Exo-Terra, or any other haphazard design, and they are very attractive. I have one of the smaller top access arboreal enclosures from him, and it certainly adds to my living room decor, and I'm sure the new design adds to yours. Glad you're happy...keep coming back, lol. :)