Zombie cricket you guys, WTH!!

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
I froze 3 crickets for 1 hour, took the legs off and fed my slings either a body or a leg. Naturally my bigger slings get the bodies. I just went to make sure all my slings ate, when I noticed one of the half eaten, half digested cricket..moving. Its legs are wiggling and its antannae are going off and it mustve scared my sling cause she isnt eating it anymore.
They sometimes come back to life after freezing but these didnt after I thawed them.. Thats why I'm so.. Freaked.. Out. I just looked over at it again its still alive omg why. Its in number 004's enclosure. Do I ... Do I take it out or do I leave it in?

Attachments

user 666

Arachnobaron
Don't let it bite you. That's how the infection spreads, and frankly 2017 is so bad that we don't need a zombie outbreak.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Their resilience is truly astounding. I have some specific practices with my feeders because I don't want to kill them myself so I noticed that the crickets live for a long time in their little petco bags or in the enclosure with the T (there have been a few times when I thought they were eaten and then I spot them days after that- like WHERE WERE YOU?! I LOOKED FOR YOU!). I have also noticed when I tear of legs for slings that they continue to do just fine. I've also accidentally mangled them with my tongs before and (surprise surprise) THEY ARE FINE. I would also be alarmed, but perhaps not surprised, by a zombie cricket.

On a side note, I like that podcast Stuff You Should Know (check it out, it's a good one) and they had a recent episode about crickets as the future of food. Now that is a thought, right?!

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
Update.. it's still alive. At least it will be fresh next time the spiderling is hungry.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I can't remember where I heard it, could've read it here, but I think I heard it on the news about a new bacteria that causes weird, and what the news reporters (I think) call zombie like moments. I honestly thought that is what this thread would be about when I read the title.

centipeedle

Arachnosquire
This is probably a result of some of the nerves still being intact, so the cricket is twitching, but still dead. This isn't the first time I've seen this.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Put them in the fridge for a few minutes, slows them down and then it's easy to crush their heads.

SkittleBunny

Arachnosquire
Put them in the fridge for a few minutes, slows them down and then it's easy to crush their heads.
Yeah, that's what we do now. I hate it, I hate crickets, I hate the way they smell, but I love my tarantulas.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Yeah, that's what we do now. I hate it, I hate crickets, I hate the way they smell, but I love my tarantulas.
Crickets are fine to be honest, I just hate their chirping. When I use them I have no smell at all.

Jayvicularia

Small Batch Seller
So I have tried raising crickets and occasionally find one that seems to be dying slowly. Whenever I find one like this it gets fed to my Chaco. So far no adverse affects, but would it be safe to feed a T an I'll cricket? I don't think the crickets r just getting ready to molt because the death rate is high on these box crickets.