zebra spider substrate

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
for a while ive kept my zebra spiders in simple, plastic tubs with no substrate, and only recently have i decided to put in substrate to make it more "natural" for the spiders. but the spiders dont seem to like the soil, and one of them tends to stumble and fall on her back while walking around.
so what substrate do you guys suggest for these tiny spiders?
btw, the soil was microwaved because that sterilizes it + drys it, since jumping spiders dont like much humidity

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
probably a setup similar to audax is great. many people (myself included) do not use a substrate.

saltyscissors

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think the spider would prefer a more natural enclosure though, especially since in where she is now, she cant really build a web anywhere. no crevices, rocks, pieces of wood.
also, over time one of my spiders has lost its ability to climb up the wall of the container for some reason:? :? :? she can still eat though, her diet consists mainly of fruit flies and leafhoppers.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
the "natural" habitat that i have always found mine in were on concrete walls and the like (houses). they are fine living and hunting on anything they can climb and hide in. doesn't have to be dirt. there is no need for "substrate" at the bottom of the cage.

they do however need a place to hide. provide some other stuff in there for it to climb on and shelter in. it may just use a corner if you don't give it anything.

is it mature yet, or still a juvenile?

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If it's really clumsy then yeah, might be close to a molt. The new skin is becoming more and more unattached to the old. I'd give it something to web so it could feel safe for a molt. A curled leaf, hollowed root or twig, nut, etc. Needs some type of access to water, too. Needs very little, though.