Yup, another H. Arizonensis thread!

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So just picked up this fat little twirp at a reptile show. It's 2.5" and fat as a grape.

So just a couple of quick questions.

Will it take a really long time to reach full size or are these guys really slow growers?

Does it being fat as a house imply that he is going to molt? It dug a nice borrow and he seems to have sealed the entrance.

Thanks,

Michael F.

Cowin8579

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have two sub adults, they have never molted.. It has been maybe 4-5 months? They get fat, then they shrink down. I only have 5 inches of substrate, which isn't ideal. I consider them slower growing, keep them warm for faster growth, just like with anything. (assuming within the proper ranges.)

Good luck!

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well that's lame...

I wish my friend picked me up a bigger one. I'm impatient and want a giant scorp asap.

Sinistersoljer

Arachnosquire
Add on

If you are already formilar with emp's and such I'm not trying to annoy I'm new to the forum and don't know who knows what :)

Jorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Give your new "Desert Hairy" plenty of substrate depth and he will reward with what seems to be non-stop digging! Keep him warm and dry with only a light misting once a month. I place a shallow water bowl in my cage once a month - whatever you prefer. It's important to keep him dry in order to avoid a mycosis infection (fungal).

I house mine in a 20-gallon long, where he enjoys then entire cage to himself. These are great scorps!

Jeff

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, he has plenty of substrate. I just know they grow to 4 inches and I don't really want to wait 5 years :/

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you wanted a bigger one, you should have bought a bigger one. I'm happy with my 2.5" one. You shoulda done some research first if you wanted it to be there in a years time. Certain scorps can do that.

Get 6-8" of sand. I have 6 now and it makes for a heavy cage.

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Give your new "Desert Hairy" plenty of substrate depth and he will reward with what seems to be non-stop digging! Keep him warm and dry with only a light misting once a month. I place a shallow water bowl in my cage once a month - whatever you prefer. It's important to keep him dry in order to avoid a mycosis infection (fungal).

I house mine in a 20-gallon long, where he enjoys then entire cage to himself. These are great scorps!

Jeff
Agreed with this statement!!! They're one of the most entertaining species I own. Very active and constantly out and about at night digging for gold!!! :D

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey don't sweat it regarding the size. It's just mean that you'll have more years of enjoyment with your scorpion.

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
that should be the thought of scorpion owners,but sadly that's sometimes not the case.
Yeah I know what you mean. Most of these young cats are more concerns about how "BIG and INTIMIDATING" their scorpions look, rather than enjoying the experiences of raising a young sling into adulthood.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Owner of a local captive born reptile store only sells larger emperors. Its the size factor definitely. I also saw mites on his scorps :(

SixShot666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Owner of a local captive born reptile store only sells larger emperors. Its the size factor definitely. I also saw mites on his scorps :(
Uh...."Mites on his scorps"?!?! WTF?!?!? Stay away from that pet store...LOL!!!

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've raised my fair share of inverts. This time I want it big NAOH!!!

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So just picked up this fat little twirp at a reptile show. It's 2.5" and fat as a grape.

So just a couple of quick questions.

Will it take a really long time to reach full size or are these guys really slow growers?

Does it being fat as a house imply that he is going to molt? It dug a nice borrow and he seems to have sealed the entrance.

Thanks,

Michael F.
Wait, I thought scorpions aren't allowed to be sold at reptiles shows in NY!??

When I used to go to the one in White Plains, NY they said no scorpions allowed! That was like 5 years ago though and I haven't gone since. Did it change now??!!!

thanks and sorry for being off topic