Yuck!!! silkworm pupaes taste bad...

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that has Sweet and Sour Silkworm Pupae in it. Now I'm a little nervous to try . . .
I think that as long as they are freshly cook, they'll be alright. of course, along with the fact that it'll be sweet and sour so that will definitely make them taste even better:drool:.

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have lived in Arizona for over 30 years now and I have never heared of anybody eating them.

I apologize, maybe it was just who I heard this from knew someone from Arizona that ate these? My comment made it sound like oh those Arizonians eat those ants all the time. Not my intention sorry :)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
From what I recall in my bug cookbook, Arizona is a good place to find honeypot colonies. So maybe entomophages go to Arizona with the intention of eating them?

CharlaineC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
bug food

ok so my brother is us army s.f and all that bullsnap. I was us army. so i got to try all the stuff he did
I have had
crickets kinda nutty and sweet
grasshoppers taste like fried chiken( pull off the wings and legs or they get stuck in your teath)
grubs Nice little pop and taste like penuts
ants are ok best stay clear ot the fire ones their rancied
termites are good live taste like hazelnuts
earthworms are bland and well blaa never again
roasted bbq scorpion

try thease recipes

Ant Brood Tacos

2 tablespoons butter or peanut oil?
1/2 pound ant larvae and pupae
3 serrano chilies, raw, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
Pepper and Cumin, to taste
Oregano, to taste
1 handful cilantro, chopped
Taco shells, to serve
Heat the butter or oil in a frying pan and fry the larvae or pupae. Add the chopped onions, chilies, and tomato, and season with salt. Sprinkle with ground pepper, cumin, and oregano, to taste. Serve in tacos and garnish with cilantro

Mealworm Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup mealworm flour
Cream butter well, then mix in sugar, egg, vanilla flour, salt, baking soda, chocolate chips, oats, and mealworm flour. Drop batter by the teaspoonful on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees farenheit. This recipe doesn't have much in the way of palpable insect content, but is an excellent way to introduce others (or yourself!) to entomophagy. Even many rather squeamish people will try mealworm cookies, since the cookie format doesn't look "gross" to most people, and since it is rather difficult to actually taste the mealworms, though they enrich the cookie with a somewhat nutty flavor and extra protein.

To make insect flour:

Spread your cleaned insects out on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Set your oven 200 degrees and dry insects for approximately 1-3 hours. When the insects are done, they should be fairly brittle and crush easily. Take your dried insects and put them into a blender or coffee grinder, and grind them till they are about consistency of wheat germ. Use in practically any recipe! Try sprinkling insect flour on salads, add it to soups, your favorite bread recipe, on a boat, with a goat, etc.

Chocolate Covered Crickets
25 adult crickets
Several squares of semisweet chocolate
Prepare the crickets as described above. Bake at 250 degrees until crunchy (the time needed varies from oven to oven). Heat the squares of semi sweet chocolate in a double boiler until melted. Dip the dry roasted crickets in the melted chocolate one by one, and then set the chocolate covered crickets out to dry on a piece of wax paper. Enjoy! This is a little time consuming to make, but definitely worth it...the crickets are deliciously crunchy!

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dude, the bbq scorpions sound really good, but too bad they are also too expensive for eating.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dude, the bbq scorpions sound really good, but too bad they are also too expensive for eating.
Yeah......but in order to catch me eating any of those with the bugs I'd have to have gone insane.......:eek:

Black Widow88

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hm.
Crickets
Roaches
Meal worms
grasshoppers
Ants
Earthworms when i was little.. dont remember what the taste like
Dog food, cat food..
Hm..Plashed juice from preserved frogs..NO it was preserved cow EYE... bleeeerrrg!

Meh, I got money from most of them, and the others from little kid stupidity.
All raw.
Crysta

Last edited:

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hm..Plashed juice from preserved frogs..NO it was preserved cow EYE... bleeeerrrg!

Meh, I got money from most of them, and the others from little kid stupidity.
All raw.
Crysta
ok dude, that just doesn't sound very healthy to me, AT ALL!!!

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey,
if it is something that is edible and is not harmful, you should always give it a try:liar:.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know. The trouble is even if I wanted to try any of them I don't have access to them.

Black Widow88

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was going to say that you could convince your parents to take a day trip down to DC to visit The Insect Club, but I just found out they shut down. :(

It was a restaurant specializing in all-insect cuisine.

tyrant963

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I always wanted to experiment with food, like that one show called bizarre foods with andrew zimmerman. Good show, he ate many wierd things