Your Tarantula Wishlist?

What is the biggest reason for a species to be on your wishlist and not on your possession list?

• Total voters

basin79

ArachnoGod
Young adult female Grammostola pulchra. Like rocking horse excrement to find.

basin79

ArachnoGod
One spider (not a tarantula though) that I've always been fascinated by and think are very interesting are Sicarius.

Reason for not having one: no desire to die.
If you didn't handle one (why would you?) and to be honest even if you did (again why?) you'd have to purposefully hurt one to get bit. They can't climb smooth surfaces either. Simple to keep with basically no risk of a bite.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Space... sharing a one bedroom apartment with a roommate can really suck sometimes.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
If you didn't handle one (why would you?) and to be honest even if you did (again why?) you'd have to purposefully hurt one to get bit. They can't climb smooth surfaces either. Simple to keep with basically no risk of a bite.
Oh I know, I was mostly just joking. From what I've read they're very shy and like a Latrodectus or Loxosceles would likely only bite if they were being squished and had no other choice. Yeah and the no climbing smooth surfaces thing is a huge plus. Just make sure you have high enough walls, and keep your hands out and you'd be fine. Maybe eventually I'll get one.

Now, P. fera on the other hand...

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oh I know, I was mostly just joking. From what I've read they're very shy and like a Latrodectus or Loxosceles would likely only bite if they were being squished and had no other choice. Yeah and the no climbing smooth surfaces thing is a huge plus. Just make sure you have high enough walls, and keep your hands out and you'd be fine. Maybe eventually I'll get one.

Yeah give them ago. I love my 2. They're something a bit different.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
can transform someone, if that someone is lucky enough to survive a bite and the right chances % mix, into a walking ubermensch armored Priapo (Priapus). John Holmes, Rocco Siffredi? Pffff :-s

* P.nigriventer

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'd love to have a wandering spider. I would imagine they'd be very similar to my Ctenus red fang. Just with worse venom.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
"Hard To Find" is the choice for me.

The USA is home to a majority of the Aphonopelma genus (currently 61 species in NMBE) and I can find less than ten species available from breeders. I have slowly bought around a half dozen species but I must buy 1/4" slings. This is probably not a popular thing among a majority of hobbyist (or breeders) due to the patience needed to care for them while they are playing hide and seek (most specimens constantly burrow except for occasional views). I try to give mine pre-made burrows next to the plastic to keep tabs on them.

I wonder if some people may confuse Aphonopelma bicoloratum as a brachypelma species if it does exist in the hobby. I can't find it anywhere.

I think Aphonopelma mooreae is from Mexico rather than the US, but it is an extremely beautiful T to me (you should google it). It reminds me partially of a GBB on its look. I am not sure why it is so rare (maybe the export/import laws make it hard to obtain?).

And come on people! Who would not want to own a tarantula named A. johnnycashi. This T doesn't sing but originates near Folsom Prison. I can see Aphonopelma never existing in quantity except for these few select species we see regularly due to the confusion on identification of WC specimens and the desire of many people to keep them out of the hobby.

There are also multiple Psalmopoeus that I can't find anywhere.

On the Avicularia species, I struggle to find females and juveniles on the ones I want. I am already at my limit on slings for this genus.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
MM E. Sp. Red: I have yet to find one for sale anywhere and I have a female that is ready to be mated

E. Sp. yellow: very hard to find

G. Grossa: hard to find

A. Moderatum: impossible to find, I would buy one the moment they pop up for sale.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I will soon get my first T and knowing myself i know I will be hooked so ive made a list lol.
B vagans
B smithi
B albopolipsum
G pulchripes
Phrixotrichus scrofa
Euthalus sp. Red
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
I like all of these T's a fair bit and i think they would make a nice collection, I also want to hear your wishlists so I can engage in a good convo with my fellow arachnoboard users.

Stig

Arachnopeon
I will soon get my first T and knowing myself i know I will be hooked so ive made a list lol.
B vagans
B smithi
B albopolipsum
G pulchripes
Phrixotrichus scrofa
Euthalus sp. Red
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
I like all of these T's a fair bit and i think they would make a nice collection, I also want to hear your wishlists so I can engage in a good convo with my fellow arachnoboard users.
Hi there,
just got my first T 3 days ago. A lovely 5 y.o. B.Vagans. still a Little shy, and won't take a dubia Roach yet. As you state I will get hooked I know !
I have had, dachshunds, chinchillas, hamster, guinea pigs, fish and birds in all flavours,big animal lover....and I have always been fasinated by these big spiders...and
the way I have set my self up as in regard to my lifestyle..T's fit right in.
My wish list for a T Collection, other than my lovely B.Vagans in no particulary order, depends on the availability:

B.Hamorii and Emilia
G.Pulchra
Euthalus sp. Red, yellow, green or blue
C. Cyaneopubens
G.Pulciripes
B.Albopilosum
Avicularia Avicularia
...and with some years in the bag as keeper
Avicularia Versicolor

I will not venture into OW T's, before I feel I have absolute control on my knowledge in how to look after T's....and my nerves! but there are some very beautiful and fantastic OW T's
but many of them need to take an anger management course, though ofc they are for the most part just protecting their homeplate :)

And for me the most important thing, I will not handle any of my T's. To me they are animals to be studied on interesting behaviour and instinct, " funny" quirks
when they start to remodel their homes, making slings, ect ect...
Ofcourse I might suddently have one crawling onto my hand, thinking on the very inquistive Euthalus Genus

Salute

Last edited:

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Hi there,
just got my first T 3 days ago. A lovely 5 y.o. B.Vagans. still a Little shy, and won't take a dubia Roach yet. As you state I will get hooked I know !
I have had, dachshunds, chinchillas, hamster, guinea pigs, fish and birds in all flavours,big animal lover....and I have always been fasinated by these big spiders...and
the way I have set my self up as in regard to my lifestyle..T's fit right in.
My wish list for a T Collection, other than my lovely B.Vagans in no particulary order, depends on the availability:

B.Hamorii and Emilia
G.Pulchra
Euthalus sp. Red, yellow, green or blue
C. Cyaneopubens
G.Pulciripes
B.Albopilosum
Avicularia Avicularia
...and with some years in the bag as keeper
Avicularia Versicolor

I will not venture into OW T's, before I feel I have absolute control on my knowledge in how to look after T's....and my nerves! but there are some very beautiful and fantastic OW T's
but many of them need to take an anger management course, though ofc they are for the most part just protecting their homeplate :)

Salute
Thats awesome. Great to see a new keeper aswell, and are lists are quite similar. Dachshunds and fish were my childhood lol. Great luck with the vagans.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Ugh, don't make me post my full list. :(
Here's just a few cuz I'm not writing out the names of 30+ species.

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Avicularia purpurea
Brachypelma albiceps
Heteroscodra maculata
Monocentropus balfouri
Poecilotheria metallica
Psalmopoeus irminia
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Pterinochilus murinus

Good luck with your upcoming first T! There's always people on here to help, should you ever have any questions. Just as you guessed, it's an extremely addicting hobby

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Ugh, don't make me post my full list. :(
Here's just a few cuz I'm not writing out the names of 30+ species.

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Avicularia purpurea
Brachypelma albiceps
Heteroscodra maculata
Monocentropus balfouri
Poecilotheria metallica
Psalmopoeus irminia
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Pterinochilus murinus

Good luck with your upcoming first T! There's always people on here to help, should you ever have any questions. Just as you guessed, it's an extremely addicting hobby
Thanks! Im probably going to spam the forums once i get one but that good right ;). I dont know many of those but the A chalcodes is a beautiful spider and will probably end up on my list.

Giles52

Arachnopeon
Good luck on getting your first T! It's quite the experience. Honestly, my wishlist would be a lot longer....but I'm trying to stay reasonable. I share my house with my husband, two kids, two dogs, and a fish, so I'm trying not to bring in a 100 spiders. Actually, that's not really fair. I don't think I would, even if I had the option. But, I'm still trying to keep the wishlist down to manageable. :) Here's what it currently looks like:

A. Geniculata
A. Avicularia
L. Parahybana
P. Irminia
T. Ockerti
N. Chromatus
T. Gigas
P. Reduncus
And then one day. . .an OBT.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Good luck on getting your first T! It's quite the experience. Honestly, my wishlist would be a lot longer....but I'm trying to stay reasonable. I share my house with my husband, two kids, two dogs, and a fish, so I'm trying not to bring in a 100 spiders. Actually, that's not really fair. I don't think I would, even if I had the option. But, I'm still trying to keep the wishlist down to manageable. :) Here's what it currently looks like:

A. Geniculata
A. Avicularia
L. Parahybana
P. Irminia
T. Ockerti
N. Chromatus
T. Gigas
P. Reduncus
And then one day. . .an OBT.
Lol good idea not invading the house with OBT's! I would love to get a T. gigas someday but it's huge!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I also want to hear your wishlists so I can engage in a good convo with my fellow arachnoboard users.
I currently have only New World spiders, but I am becoming more interested in Old World species, in part because I am more sensitive to urticating hairs than I anticipated.

What I have:
0.1.0 Avicularia avicularia (pinktoe tarantula)
0.2.0 Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian black tarantula)
1.0.0 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue tarantula)
0.0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata (whitebanded tarantula)
1.0.0 Dolichothele diamantinensis (Brazilian blue dwarf beauty)
0.1.0 Psalmopoeus cambridgei (Trinidad chevron tarantula)

The following wishlists are for species I don't already have but feel experienced enough to get within the next year:

New World wishlist
  • Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona/desert blond)
  • Aphonopelma seemanni (Costa Rican zebra)
  • Avicularia metallica (metallic pinktoe/whitetoe)
  • Brachypelma albopilosum (curlyhair)
  • Brachypelma emilia (Mexican redleg)
  • Caribena versicolor (Antilles/Martinique pinktoe)
  • Ephebopus murinus (skeleton)
  • Euathlus sp. "red"
  • Grammostola iheringi (Argentinean black/Entre Ríos)
  • Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" (pumpkin patch)
  • Neoholothele fasciaaurinigra (bumblebee)
  • Neoholothele incei (Trinidad olive)
  • Nhandu
  • Pamphobeteus
  • Thrixopelma cyaneolum (cobalt red rump)

Old World wishlist
  • Augacephalus ezendami (Mozambique baboon)
  • Ceratogyrus marshalli (straight/great horned baboon)
  • Eucratoscelus pachypus (stout leg baboon)
  • Idiothele mira (blue-foot baboon)
  • Monocentropus balfouri (Socotra Island blue baboon)

Last edited:

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I currently have only New World spiders, but I am becoming more interested in Old World species, in part because I am more sensitive to urticating hairs than I anticipated.

What I have:
0.1.0 Avicularia avicularia (pinktoe tarantula)
0.2.0 Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian black tarantula)
1.0.0 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue tarantula)
0.0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata (whitebanded tarantula)
1.0.0 Dolichothele diamantinensis (Brazilian blue dwarf beauty)
0.1.0 Psalmopoeus cambridgei (Trinidad chevron tarantula)

The following wishlists are for species I don't already have but feel experienced enough to get within the next year:

New World wishlist
  • Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona/desert blond)
  • Aphonopelma seemanni (Costa Rican zebra)
  • Avicularia metallica (metallic pinktoe/whitetoe)
  • Brachypelma albopilosum (curlyhair)
  • Brachypelma emilia (Mexican redleg)
  • Caribena versicolor (Antilles/Martinique pinktoe)
  • Ephebopus murinus (skeleton)
  • Euathlus sp. "red"
  • Hapalopus sp. "Colombia" (pumpkin patch)
  • Neoholothele fasciaaurinigra (bumblebee)
  • Neoholothele incei (Trinidad olive)
  • Nhandu
  • Pamphobeteus
  • Thrixopelma cyaneolum (cobalt red rump)

Old World wishlist
  • Augacephalus ezendami (Mozambique baboon)
  • Ceratogyrus marshalli (straight/great horned baboon)
  • Eucratoscelus pachypus (stout leg baboon)
  • Idiothele mira (blue-foot baboon)
  • Monocentropus balfouri (Socotra Island blue baboon)
I love your new world wishlist! Youve got some great T's on there. Im not too big on old world but the baboons are cool.