Your opinion about these arboreal enclosures

vounti

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone,

I am planning to order two arboreal new world slings: a C. versicolor and a P. irmina. Since these are my first arboreals Ts I would like to know what you guys think of the enclosures I made for them. Unfortunately I have not enough space in the small one to get a water dish but I plan on pouringwater every now and then.

Attachments

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
The holes in the square container look very large compared to the size of the enclosure. Depending on the size of the sling it likely can escape through the holes.

What species were you planning for each of the containers?

vounti

Arachnoknight
I should have added a ruler next to the enclosures! The holes are 3mm (0.12 inches) in diameter. Is it too large in your opinion? I think I can partially cover these holes

and I was planning on housing the P. irmina in the bigger one. Since these are my first arboreal, I want to rehouse the Caribena first just to get used to arboreals. I read that Psalmopoeus can be fast

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I should have added a ruler next to the enclosures! The holes are 3mm (0.12 inches) in diameter. Is it too large in your opinion? I think I can partially cover these holes

and I was planning on housing the P. irmina in the bigger one. Since these are my first arboreal, I want to rehouse the Caribena first just to get used to arboreals. I read that Psalmopoeus can be fast
Size of hole determined by carapace- only YOU know.

vounti

Arachnoknight
I will then check on that when I get them. I currently have no idea of their size. Appart from these holes, is that a good set up for arboreal? Maybe I should add anchor points? More substrate?

cold blood

Staff member
Despite both being arboreal, the way they live is quite different and the set ups need to reflect this.

The main difference is the plant cover (something critical, but lacking in your set ups).

The versi is more of an obligate arboreal that will spend its life off the ground, therefore its the top of the wood that needs to be surrounded by plants. This not only provides cover, but also the anchor points critical for it making an elevated web home.

Irminia, like non avicularine arboreals, actually live more at ground level...so the wood should be positioned in a manner that the t can make its home under the wood, therefore the plant clutter here needs to surround the base of the wood.

Versi should be kept dry...irminia are much more felexible and can to fine in a much wider range of conditions than the versi.

vounti

Arachnoknight
Alright thank you so much for the information. I added anchor points near the top of the wood for the Caribena and I also added substrate for the Psalmopoeus. I also read that sometimes burrowers use stuff they find around like leaves and tiny sticks to stabilize their burrow. I am not sure if that is true but I guess that can't hurt the animal. Thank you again, that is exactly the kind of criticism I was looking for

mellow

Arachnobaron
I would have drilled smaller holes, and added more fake plants and moss, but other than that looks good to me. 😃