Your heat source for dubias?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Just wondering what everyone uses for a heat source to breed their dubia colony. I figured I should start my own colony since I have 27 Ts and it's getting a bit annoying running back and forth to the store. I'm thinking about a heat mat, but not sure which brand would be good to not overheat them,

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Like to know this myself. Just got a few to 'try' and raise.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Do you use a large plastic bin for your roaches? I'm just worried the cable will burn it, but if it doesn't I'm going to get a light dimmer to use with it to control the wattage output. Either than or I'll get a heat mat (which seems more simple to use, thanks @Trenor ). But I'll first lay some tiling down on my carpet, then place the heat mat/cable on top of that and then the bin.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Do you use a large plastic bin for your roaches? I'm just worried the cable will burn it, but if it doesn't I'm going to get a light dimmer to use with it to control the wattage output. Either than or I'll get a heat mat (which seems more simple to use, thanks @Trenor ). But I'll first lay some tiling down on my carpet, then place the heat mat/cable on top of that and then the bin.
Yeah I use the cable under plastic bins, it has never even gotten close to melting them. :)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yeah I use the cable under plastic bins, it has never even gotten close to melting them. :)
What do you use to control the temp? And how fast do the dubia breed? I don't mind their slow growth rate, because most of my collection will take small dubias haha.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
What do you use to control the temp? And how fast do the dubia breed? I don't mind their slow growth rate, because most of my collection will take small dubias haha.
Nothing, like I said it has a set temperature, I just plug the cord in in the morning and unplugit at night, the containers stay heated in the day and the roaches breed really well.

I don't actually breed dubia, I use the cable for my heat loving pet roaches, specifically my Rhabdoblatta formosana and Gromphadorhina sp. "Hybrid". :)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Nothing, like I said it has a set temperature, I just plug the cord in in the morning and unplugit at night, the containers stay heated in the day and the roaches breed really well.

I don't actually breed dubia, I use the cable for my heat loving pet roaches, specifically my Rhabdoblatta formosana and Gromphadorhina sp. "Hybrid". :)
Oh gotcha. What brand of heating cable do you use? Do you have a link to it if I may ask?

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
I use a ceramic heat emoter I think it's 60 watts I keep my colony in a 20 gallon long for now and it works well. Don't need a thermastat without it it keeps the hot side at 95 ish but put on in anyway cause if it ever malfunctions and over heats the thermastat will kick it off before it gets so hot as to catch fire

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Thanks! And will it regularly heat the tub to 85 if your ambient temp in the room is around 72-75?

I use a ceramic heat emoter I think it's 60 watts I keep my colony in a 20 gallon long for now and it works well. Don't need a thermastat without it it keeps the hot side at 95 ish but put on in anyway cause if it ever malfunctions and over heats the thermastat will kick it off before it gets so hot as to catch fire
So the ceramic heat emitter doesn't emit light too? Do you think it would burn the tub at all or am I worrying a bit too much?

Ziad ElGuneid

Arachnosquire
Personally I just put them on top of my hot water tank. not everyone has those conveniently placed in a closet like i do though.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Do you guys also have anyone you recommend buying from with cheap prices?

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Thanks! And will it regularly heat the tub to 85 if your ambient temp in the room is around 72-75?

So the ceramic heat emitter doesn't emit light too? Do you think it would burn the tub at all or am I worrying a bit too much?
No light emitted just heat..if you cut a hole in the tub and out screen on it it will not melt your tub they get plent hot but it's a directed heat downwards and watch your fingers I burned my fingertips off once trying to grab one that fell off a tank ;)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
No light emitted just heat..if you cut a hole in the tub and out screen on it it will not melt your tub they get plent hot but it's a directed heat downwards and watch your fingers I burned my fingertips off once trying to grab one that fell off a tank ;)

Thanks! How expensive is it to keep a CHE on during the day?

Where do you buy your roaches from if I may ask?

Blackout14

Arachnoknight
Thanks! How expensive is it to keep a CHE on during the day?

Where do you buy your roaches from if I may ask?
No more then an exquivilent lightbulb same wattage mine runs 24/7. I got my roaches from the last local show I got 25 just matured females and 10 males just matured for $20 and bought 200 mixed nymphs for another $10I checked last night and had 2 females giving birth so it's on it's way once it really gets move sing my plan it to pull feeder sized out and raise them in another tank so I'm not bothering the main colony

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sorry to bombard you with questions :rolleyes: Why do you unplug it at night? I leave mine plugged in 24/7, should I not be?