Your first T?

Vandle

Arachnopeon
Two suggestions:

-Take out the twigs and replace with a much wider piece of cork bark that it can stretch out on. Think tree trunk, or at least very thick branches.

-Replace the screen top with a piece of plexiglass/acrylic that has air holes in it. Ts can get their tarsal claws stuck in screen or mesh and eventually they may amputate that leg and potentially have a long fall as well.

Also, they're not hurting anything, but you don't need the thermometer or hygrometer in there, either. If it's between 65 and 85, your T will be happy, and chasing humidity numbers is a waste of your time.

I appreciate the feedback. Been getting some great info from a few people. Will be investing on a more appropriate set up until my T is bigger.
Glad i posted. I guess you dont realize how much you haven't researched until you ask. Thanks all!

CheshireGleam

Arachnopeon
I got my first tarantulas around this same time last year, all under an inch. One L. parahybana, N. chromatus, B. albopilosum, and an N. coloratovillosus freebie. They are now on the larger sides of 2.5"-3.5", I don't bother with measuring yet. Think they may all be males but I'm likely and hopefully wrong.

Hoxter

Arachnoderp
My first one was Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens month and half ago. It was only 4 cm when came but actually managed to already molt in my care and now it's around 5-5.5cm. Love this small one.
Also few days after first one arriving I also ordered A. geniculata and some others later on. Collection is growing very fast.

Last edited:

thebronzedragon

Arachnosquire
A. avicularia because it was one that I wanted and there was one at my local pet store. Currently about 4" and assumed female.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
My lil M. balfouri was my first and still going strong. Everyone recommended against OW to start but as soon as I saw and learned about this T I knew I had to have it. Got it as a sling for 10 bucks because she/he was missing a leg. 20190113_222303.jpg

Zaxxen

Arachnosquire
My lil M. balfouri was my first and still going strong. Everyone recommended against OW to start but as soon as I saw and learned about this T I knew I had to have it. Got it as a sling for 10 bucks because she/he was missing a leg. View attachment 305151
Balfouris are my favourite species along with the h. Pulchripes, i really wanted one but felt they were too bloody fast, respect to you!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My first was my male G. pulchra that I got as a little sling after reading The Tarantula Keeper’s Guide. He lived ten years. His name was Cuddles. I picked the pulchra because I liked the idea of having a giant black spider.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
A. chalcodes for me! I wanted a B. hamorii first but couldn't find any juvenile females for a price that wasn't gonna make me have a heart attack (and then look who ended up buying one anyway) so I went with my second choice. I'm glad that I did because she's a beauty!

Tyler Lawrence

Arachnopeon
Ceratogyrus darlingi sling
because I wanted a burrowing species, I love the horn and their venom isn't as bad as other ow

tewebag

Arachnoknight
My first tarantula was a Grammostola rosea back in 2008 or so I believe.

It was a gift from my ex girlfriend who was trying to get me to get back together with her after she cheated (it didn't work). At the time the tarantula was fully grown and what I assume to be wild caught since she was bought at a large chain store here in the United States.

Had her since and she is still alive and sitting around all day like a pet rock with a molt every five or so years.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
I started with B. albo, G. pulchripes and G. pulchra, all slings. I was a newly reformed arachnophobe and wanted to start with the easiest, chillest species possible. They were great confidence builders.

Taranchura

Arachnopeon
Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens, bought as a female but decided to turn out to be a male. Escaped its enclosure, behaves like a OBT, will bolt out of the enclosure as soon as you open it... Over all a bad boy, will pick up his lady tomorrow. He was a young Juvenile when I got him. I bought a B. Albopilosum nicaragua, B. Boehmei and Nhandu Chromatus sling afterwards and then jumped into old worlds a few months later.