Your first T?

Zaxxen

Arachnosquire
As i love reading round on the forums and Im very interested in reading about peoples first T's, please comment yours and why you settled on that species, ill start

My first and only T is the Nhandu Chromatus and she is currently about 2/3" id say, havent measured her DLS though, i found the little gem at an expo and managed to convince my mother to let me get it. I originally wanted my first to be the gbb but im far from dissapointed with my little girl, she just molted for the first time in my care and it wasnt long since the last molt according to the breeder, super happy with her :)

Please tell me about yours :)

Minty

@londontarantulas
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. My friend that got me into tarantulas explained why it was a good starter and I thought it looked great.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In the year 2000 i bought 2 at the same time. A Grammostola porteri young adult female, and a adult A seemani female. The A seemani i sold of many years ago, but my G porteri is alive and kicking! 25 years old old or something like that!:angelic: I just wanted beginner speicies, therefor i bought them! It turned out that my Seemanni was very defenssive, so it was not a good beginner speicies that one!

Zaxxen

Arachnosquire
In the year 2000 i bought 2 at the same time. A Grammostola porteri young adult female, and a adult A seemani female. The A seemani i sold of many years ago, but my G porteri is alive and kicking! 25 years old old or something like that!:angelic: I just wanted beginner speicies, therefor i bought them! It turned out that my Seemanni was very defenssive, so it was not a good beginner speicies that one!
Ohh very nice! 25 years god damn hope my T lives that long :)

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
G. pulchripes (Legs.) When I first got her in 2013:

Now she is 4.5 inches and overdue for a molt:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
B. albopilosum, basically because I didn't want a G. rosea/porteri and after doing a ton of research it seemed like the best species to start with.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
A. avicularia because there were several species that I wanted, that being one of them, and there was one at a pet store.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I got a g porteri like 12 years ago. It was the only commonly available t in my area pet stores at the time. They seem to be harder to find anymore. I know alot of people sell them online. I just can't remember seeing one at a petstore for a while.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
A friend of mine called me and told me that I had to go and save/buy a very neglected tarantula at one of our worst petshops. It was 1999, the ban was not in place yet, and I had no idea that they were even kept as pets.
It turns out that she was a full grown, wild caught, female Grammostola porteri who was with me another 17 years.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
On my 12th birthday, I wanted to go visit the local "ma and pa" pet store that often had neat critters. My dad took me.

They had a tarantula and a Vietnamese centipede. My dad would NOT budge on the 'pede, so we compromised on the T :D She was a juvie G. rosea/porteri/whatever, and I named her Ituri (after the Ituri Rainforest).

Bringing her home got me, my dad, and the spider booted out to the barn for the night by my mother :rofl: But within the week, my mom was just as fascinated by her and urged me to show her to everyone that came over.

She should have been with me for so much longer than she was (heck, she possibly would still even be with me), but she was one of the Ts I lost in a freak snow storm that caused us to be without electricity for 10 days :arghh:

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
An AF G. porteri. I got her when I was 10 or 11. As I type this, she is currently breaking her six month fast with some crickets. She’s my only display t and my favorite, regardless of who I say is my favorite at any given time. She has such a special place in my heart, and I’m hoping she has many years ahead of her.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I was 17 and had just gotten a B. hamorii sling before I moved out of my parent's house. Now it has been 5 years and it is a juvenile with a 3 inch legspan.

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
A avic bc I watched 8 legged freaks and loved the jumping spiders in the movie.
AND the pet store near me had one. I was about 14

Derivative

Arachnosquire
I got an Adult female G. Rosea when I was 10. And five years later she is still thriving.

Vandle

Arachnopeon
Here is my first T! It's an A. Avicularia. It has about a 2.5" legspan and took down two good size crickets the first two days i had it. I have been researching T's 20190409_202905.jpg 20190409_175417.jpg 20190404_004402.jpg and watching videos since i got my H. Spinifer scorpion a few months ago, and a leopard ghecko a year before that. I'm a single dad in an apartment so i wanted some cool pets that my 7 & 5 year old can enjoy and learn about. We all have loved watching these fascinating little creatures!

Any constructive critiques on the enclosure is welcome. I want this arboreal to right at home!

"Sting", my H. Spinifer pretending he is Peter Parker.

Drizzliz

Arachnopeon
My first was a little 1/2 inch C. cyaneopubescens sling. Seemed like a perfect starter for me; manageable for a beginner, heavy webber, voracious eater, always visible and beautiful coloration / color transformation from sling to adult.

20180422_183703.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Any constructive critiques on the enclosure is welcome. I want this arboreal to right at home!
Two suggestions:

-Take out the twigs and replace with a much wider piece of cork bark that it can stretch out on. Think tree trunk, or at least very thick branches.

-Replace the screen top with a piece of plexiglass/acrylic that has air holes in it. Ts can get their tarsal claws stuck in screen or mesh and eventually they may amputate that leg and potentially have a long fall as well.

Also, they're not hurting anything, but you don't need the thermometer or hygrometer in there, either. If it's between 65 and 85, your T will be happy, and chasing humidity numbers is a waste of your time.

Nic105

Arachnopeon
374448BD-8ED5-40E8-BCF1-2082F3CFE0E5.jpeg My first ever T was a 3/4” Acanthoscurria Geniculata. Fast forward a couple of years, she’s now 8 inches, and still my favorite T in the collection. I think what interested me most about this species is their insane appetite, not to mention their somewhat docile nature...an absolute “must have” in my opinion