Young Curly Hair T Eating Alot

izzyb17

Arachnopeon
Hey guys! I've owned my curly hair for about 2 years now and he recently got done molting.

I waited a couple days after he came out and i've fed him a super worm a day since he's come out from molting since he was molting for a long time.

He's probably eaten about 4-5 this week alone. He's about an inch maybe a little smaller. I've never seen him eat like this. Is this normal? Am I overfeeding him? Should I take a break from feeding him?

(Also I feed him crickets, superworms, and cockroaches, not just the superworms :) That just happens to be the T food I have right now.)

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
He will keep eating until he is full, then won’t eat again ‘till after the next molt.

This is because in the wild they are never sure when their next meal will be, so they stuff themselves until enough energy is stored for them to go through their next molt.

I find my Brachypelma species will not stop eating though. Can not say the same for my other genera.

I’ll feed them a lot after a molt to plumpen them up a bit. Then I slow down the feeding schedule as I’m not worried about them starving or becoming dehydrated (as they get the large majority of their water from eating prey)

izzyb17

Arachnopeon
He will keep eating until he is full, then won’t eat again ‘till after the next molt.

This is because in the wild they are never sure when their next meal will be, so they stuff themselves until enough energy is stored for them to go through their next molt.

I find my Brachypelma species will not stop eating though. Can not say the same for my other genera.

I’ll feed them a lot after a molt to plumpen them up a bit. Then I slow down the feeding schedule as I’m not worried about them starving or becoming dehydrated (as they get the large majority of their water from eating prey)
Thank you! I was just worried because he normally doesn't eat that much :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They are often pretty ravenous immediately following a molt because their resources are so depleted. It is a huge energy drain for them. Always remember to keep the water dish full as well as they require hydration post molt.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
He's about an inch maybe a little smaller.
Body length or diagonal leg span?

I know they're not the fastest growers but the Nicaraguan form (the slower growing of the 2 variants) I have went from 1cm to just under 2 inches in about a year.

izzyb17

Arachnopeon
They are often pretty ravenous immediately following a molt because their resources are so depleted. It is a huge energy drain for them. Always remember to keep the water dish full as well as they require hydration post molt.
I always make sure it's clean and full of water :) Thanks for the input!

izzyb17

Arachnopeon

I know they're not the fastest growers but the Nicaraguan form (the slower growing of the 2 variants) I have went from 1cm to just under 2 inches in about a year.
In body length. He isn't very big.

izzyb17

Arachnopeon

I also haven't measured him so I'm estimating.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
In body length. He isn't very big.
Body length isn't very helpful tbh, diagonal leg span (measured from the tip of the front leg on one side to the tip of the rear leg on the opposite side) gives us a more accurate picture of its size.

I'm guessing it's around 2" or so DLS which would make it a juvenile so to answer your question, you're probably overdoing it a bit with the food which will eventually result in a long fasting period, feeding once a week is enough at that sort of size.