You know you are a tarantula collector if...

Devil'sRival

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
-Family threatens you with a can of raid. (Happened to many times to count.)
-You're the only one in the room who doesn't notice the smell when you open the roach bin. (Lateralis)
-Your wife hands you Walmart bags of empty containers and says "Get these out of my ___ kitchen ".
-You go into a craft store by yourself (guys) to buy hot glue, vines, containers, etc and get odd looks.
-Dollar tree is jackpot for containers.
-You get told "Those things will kill your kids, you need to smash them" My response was "I'll smash your ankle biter the next time it bites me or gets near my kids."
-You can watch a movie, hold a conversation, and feed all at the same time without screwing up.
-Fell asleep holding an open T home (obt) because you had to wait for most everyone else to go to bed so you had room to feed.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
....if you have a lot of people coming in and out of your house early mornings and late nights so as to not conflict with your work schedule to pick up inverts you are selling and the neighbors call the cops because you are "drug trafficking". (I'm not even kidding, my neighbors think I'm a drug dealer.)

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Last edited by a moderator:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
...you list "latin" as one of your spoken languages.
...you get called weird names by your neighbors, "spiderman" being the friendliest.
...you can look at glass tanks for hours without getting bored the least, just watching the crawlies inside.
...you don't "hate" certain spiders anymore, you just "respect" them for what they are (talking about the -really- nasty ones, not T's!)
...you update your camera equipment just to be able to make even BETTER shots of your crawlies.
...you don't mind the crickets being loud, in fact, you don't even realize it anymore after a while.
...your neighbors don't say "hello" when they meet you, but instead ask you if your "creepy crawlies" fare well (with a sour look on their face).
...your neighbors take a package for you while you're at work and when you come home to get it from them, they hand it over with a kinda scared look.
...you don't leave your house without a catchcup anymore.
...you extra carefully check banana boxes in the supermarket and look disappointed when you don't find any spider.
...your accounts shows more payments to private people, than companies.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
...you blow all your money on tarantulas only to find yourself bankrupt and living in a box than got a second chance but blew all your money again on tarantulas.

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
....you get your girlfriend hooked into the hobby so she is more accepting of the amount of spiders you have and the tubs of roaches you hope for.
....you have to keep her from trying to steal one of your Ts she thinks is pretty.
...you try to convince your converted wife/girlfriend that one of her T's is really yours and it was not her idea to get that one in the first place (even if it really was).

---------- Post added 03-09-2012 at 02:34 PM ----------

...you keep waiting for a member of your family to tell you that they've called Animal Hoarders and the camera crew will be there any minute.
...no matter how old you are or how many years you've been keeping tarantulas or what kind of degree you have, every time you tell your mother how many tarantulas you have, you have to reassure her again that they aren't deadly and that you know what you're doing. (Most of the time.)

Jared781

Arachnobaron
--- You only use the Digital Camera only for Ts

You go around collecting the lids from everything

Last edited by a moderator:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
--- You only use the Digital Camera only for Ts
You go around collecting the lids from everything

You know, you could've just -edited- your first post...

Back 2 topic:
...you don't really believe yourself when you say "Collection complete".
...you have to leave money at home when going to an expo, because you know that it'll just mysteriously happen it's gone AFTER the expo and you come home with new additions.

Msh

Arachnosquire
I can definitely relate about the expo money vacuum I usually manage to leave with less than five bucks regardless of how much I brought.
- ... You can't stop wondering if one of your T's has molted while away on a vacation

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
....if you have a lot of people coming in and out of your house early mornings and late nights so as to not conflict with your work schedule to pick up inverts you are selling and the neighbors call the cops because you are "drug trafficking". (I'm not even kidding, my neighbors think I'm a drug dealer.)
Geez! How about you offer them some then? Send over a totally aggressive drub...new name though: OBT ( "Out before totalled" or something...dunno:D) or ask them if they want some REALLY great Asian stuff? Haplopelma is a new designer drug with VERY interesting effects...but it's oh so blue.. :p

Makes one wonder how stupid people are that don't know you but just judge you...*shakes head*

Jared781

Arachnobaron
...you list "latin" as one of your spoken languages.
...you get called weird names by your neighbors, "spiderman" being the friendliest.
...you can look at glass tanks for hours without getting bored the least, just watching the crawlies inside.
...you don't "hate" certain spiders anymore, you just "respect" them for what they are (talking about the -really- nasty ones, not T's!)
...you update your camera equipment just to be able to make even BETTER shots of your crawlies.
...you don't mind the crickets being loud, in fact, you don't even realize it anymore after a while.
...your neighbors don't say "hello" when they meet you, but instead ask you if your "creepy crawlies" fare well (with a sour look on their face).
...your neighbors take a package for you while you're at work and when you come home to get it from them, they hand it over with a kinda scared look.
...you don't leave your house without a catchcup anymore.
...you extra carefully check banana boxes in the supermarket and look disappointed when you don't find any spider.
...your accounts shows more payments to private people, than companies.
LOL the crickets become peacefull

---------- Post added 03-10-2012 at 03:30 PM ----------

You know, you could've just -edited- your first post...

Back 2 topic:
...you don't really believe yourself when you say "Collection complete".
...you have to leave money at home when going to an expo, because you know that it'll just mysteriously happen it's gone AFTER the expo and you come home with new additions.
I apologize.... YOUR the boss lol sick thread BTW

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've played this before but I'm game.

My arachnid afficionado version of "You Might Be a Redneck" jokes...

When the crickets are louder inside the house more than the outdoors, you might be an arachnophile.

If you have shadow boxes hanging on your bedroom wall for exuvia of your pets' growth spurts, you might be an arachnophile.

When you start talking about the grooming/hunting habits of your tarantulas to a cat lady, you might be an arachnophile.

If you're a straight man and not offended when your friend compliments you on a "nice sac," you might be an arachnophile.

When your friend/relatives avoid or try to make a quick exit from your bedroom, you might be an arachnophile(or a hot snakes keeper..)

When your shopping at Bed, Bath and Beyond or other house supply stores and the only thing you're thinking about is what bug to put inside (that) container, you might be an arachnophile.

If you've bought a labler just so you can keep track of all your arachnids and their molt history, you might be an arachnophile.

If you see an insect inside your house and you either keep it or feed it to one of your own bugs, you might be an arachnophile.

When you see a home owner freaking out about all the spiders she/he gets at her/his house (Oregon is chalk-full!) and you want to collect as many as you can instead of killing them, you might be an arachnophile.

If you're really serious about buying the above mentioned house, you definately are an arachnophile.

If you are referred to as Spiderman/Spiderwoman and you take it as a compliment, you might be an arachnophile.

When you're willing to be uncomfortably warm inside your room for the sake of incubating egg sacs or egg cases(ootheca) of insects, you might be an arachnophile.

When bugs in your house have been affectionately nicknamed, you might be an arachnophile.

When your reaction to a friend/relative's complaints or freak outs about the bug life in South America is to buy a plane ticket there, you might be an arachnophile.

When your first instinct to a home disaster is to carry out Kritter Keepers and other bug cages, you might be an arachnophile.

If your calendar has some kind of arachnid picture for every month, you might be an arachnophile(definately one if it has dates marked for when moulting has occurred).

When Metallica fans talk about the band and you start commenting about Poecilotheria metallica, definately you're an arachnophile.

When a large spider is found and you go over and pinch-grab/palm it instead of kill it, you might be an arachnophile.

If you've ever been dissapointed to find spider webbing empty of the resident, you might be an arachnophile.

If you collect bottle caps for water bowls, not because of a prize inside the cap, you might be an arachnophile.

If arachnids you've kept are taking more trips out of state than you, you might be an arachnophile.

All I got for now.

---------- Post added 03-10-2012 at 07:58 PM ----------

When someone sees your roach bin in the corner of the room with the holes drilled in top and asks what's in it and you say "feeder beetles" because they would flip if you said roaches.
I'm actually thinking about ordering green banana roaches so I can say they are lacewings. X-D

---------- Post added 03-10-2012 at 08:05 PM ----------

I forgot one other thing I actually did.

I got into a disagreement with my Mom a very long time ago and to get her back, I released an adult male cricket under the refridgerator. It lived and chirped for 5 weeks. X-D

Projecht13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you go to the Container Store and every thing in it is a tarantula enclosure

I go here for inspiration whenever I want to make a new enclosure :p

Vespula

Arachnodemon
If you consider dreams containing giant spiders part of a restful night's sleep.

seacowst

Arachnosquire
if your first reaction to the big spiders in harry potter is omg it is a dream come true now get over here you big fluffy t.

creepa

Arachnoknight
-you dont even care weather your (girl)friend leaves or not

Chicken Farmer

Arachnosquire
you eat ramen noodles for dinner, so you can buy crickets, or that slings you have always wanted.

you become a container hoarder. your family puts you on the hoarder show list to get help.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
if your first reaction to the big spiders in harry potter is omg it is a dream come true now get over here you big fluffy t.
Along the same lines:

If your friends have said that your patronus would be Aragog.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
You have more storage containers then your Grandma

On your holidays to Mexico, Peru, Brazil ect, If you come across a T everybody runs for the hills, you get as close to the Specimen as possible and YELL.. "I think it's aaaa!..."

Last edited: