Yet another Next T post

Colette

Arachnopeon
Currently I have... B hamorii, B boehmi, G pulchra, P sazimai, N chromatus and C cyaneopubescens.

For my next T I'm after something I'm going to see regularly so no pet holes. Id like either a big hairy terrestrial, something "pretty" or a nice arboreal (although i admit I'm a bit nervous about my first arboreal). My shortlist at the point ...

G iheringi
Nhandu tripepii
Nhandu carapoensis
L klugi
L difficilis

C versicolor
P cambridgei
N incei gold

I've heard mixed reviews on how much time the Nhandus spend on show. N incei I know is a heavy webber - but is that similar to Gbb so still frequently seen or really a pet Web? I love the P irminia but I don't want a T I'll never see so leaning towards the cambridgei.
Help lol

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Out of your list I only own the versicolor and I highly recommend one! The web tube is really cool looking and obviously the colors are stunning!

I’ll add one to your list that I don’t have but want myself and you might consider, Y diversipes. Those colors look incredible!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
My L. klugi sling never hides. Even when it was only an inch long, it sat right out in the open. Not sure if they're all like this or not.

My GF said to me recently "That klugi is one of the most enjoyable ones because it is always out." Yup.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
My L. klugi sling never hides. Even when it was only an inch long, it sat right out in the open. Not sure if they're all like this or not.
Mine totally is not. It is the most skittish tarantula I've ever seen. I've watched this T on multiple occasions flee left, right, left again, then dive face first in the substrate below it as if it is going to speed-dig a burrow straight down to escape me despite having a perfectly good hide available.

Even my pokie slings don't panic the way this guy does. I'm hoping it changes when he gets bigger but I'll probably sell him off anyway. I'm not really interested in breeding any Lasiodora species.

As for a suggestion? G. iheringi all the way. When they are freshly molted their bum practically glows like lava.

Colette

Arachnopeon
What is the growth rate like on the G iheringi? Mostly seems to be slings available.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
What is the growth rate like on the G iheringi? Mostly seems to be slings available.
Actually? Surprisingly fast. I believe my first G. iheringi molted 3 times between September 2014 and July 2015.

September 2014
July 2015

It's also one of my favorite species, honestly. Definitely my favorite Grammostola.

Look how cute they are! I could gush forever, honestly.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
good options on the list. P. cambridgei is a good Arboreal, and they grow fast as slings.

I have 3 P. cam slings at the moment and they are decent eaters(assuming they acknowledge the food itself lol) and they all have been molting pretty quickly. they are usually out and about when left alone, though they do hide pretty quick when disturbed. obviously could just be because they are slings but regardless, still a Beautiful T.

if you want a good Show spider thats not on your list, i would maybe try a A. Geniculata. they can have a bit of an attitude at times, But great feeding response, truly savage, even in the face of prey equal (or larger) then itself.
and they can get pretty decent sized, and mine has literally used his hide maybe twice since i originally got him. i got him at ~2" and he's now a proud MM ~6.5-7" and he's literally ALWAYS out on display at all times.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For my next T I'm after something I'm going to see regularly so no pet holes. Id like either a big hairy terrestrial, something "pretty" or a nice arboreal (although i admit I'm a bit nervous about my first arboreal).
Terrestrial: Acanthoscurria geniculata (They get big, are always out, and think everything is food.)

Arboreal: Caribena versicolor (colorful and fluffy) or Psalmopoeus cambridgei (big, green, and hardy)

I love the P irminia but I don't want a T I'll never see so leaning towards the cambridgei.
P. cambridgei is the least defensive Psalmopoeus and most likely to be on display (especially once it's bigger). P. irminia tends to become more reclusive as it grows.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
For my next T I'm after something I'm going to see regularly so no pet holes. Id like either a big hairy terrestrial, something "pretty" or a nice arboreal (although i admit I'm a bit nervous about my first arboreal). My shortlist at the point ...

G iheringi
Nhandu tripepii
Nhandu carapoensis
L klugi
L difficilis
C versicolor
P cambridgei
N incei
gold
I own all the highlighted species, get the G. iheringi if you go terrestrial, get the C. versicolor if you go arboreal.

I've heard mixed reviews on how much time the Nhandus spend on show. N incei I know is a heavy webber - but is that similar to Gbb so still frequently seen or really a pet Web? I love the P irminia but I don't want a T I'll never see so leaning towards the cambridgei.
Help lol
My N. carapoensis is a bit of a pet hole but she's barely a juvie so she might be out more as she grows.

My N. incei (I actually prefer the normal form to the gold form) is pretty visible unless in premoult, it has webbed up most of the enclosure like a GBB would.

My P. cambridgei makes my irminia look outgoing. Seriously though, he's the most reclusive of all my Psalmos by far.

Fast, they put on a lot of size with each moult, my girl's gone from 3cm to over 3 inches in just over 9 months.

Last edited:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Terrestrial: Acanthoscurria geniculata (They get big, are always out, and think everything is food.)

Arboreal: Caribena versicolor (colorful and fluffy) or Psalmopoeus cambridgei (big, green, and hardy)

P. cambridgei is the least defensive Psalmopoeus and most likely to be on display (especially once it's bigger). P. irminia tends to become more reclusive as it grows.
Came here to say this. ^

Versicolor will more than likely be on my next purchase somewhere, so I'm gonna be pushing those on anyone thats also interested in them until i get one.
And A. geniculata is absolutely one of the best display species out there. Contrast of the colors is amazing and the attitude is awesome to observe. They also show adult colors super early, so buying them at a 1/4 inch sling is cost efficient and theres no need for patience. Mine was fiesty even at that size.
My P. cambridgei is also very interesting to observe. Webbed her old enclosure entirely with an insanely complex tube system (which ive never seen or heard of happening before, so double the interest level). Doesnt hide very much, and only gets more brave. Also has a great appetite. Watched mine stalk a roach before pouncing off the side of her enclosure. Recent rehouse was a little nerve wracking, though, because of the speed concern. Theyre fast. But it all ended up going smoothly because they are pretty calm, compared to their cousins. Probably wouldnt recommend as a FIRST arboreal but so long as you understand what theyre capable of and always expect it, itd most likely be fine.

Colette

Arachnopeon
Thanks all, very helpful.

I do like the A geniculata but tbh it's lower down the list purely because it looks so similar to the N chromatus. I only have limited space so I'm trying to make the most of it.

At this point I've narrowed it down to the G iheringi, C versicolor or P cambridgei so I'll probably just see what becomes available after pay day

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
At this point I've narrowed it down to the G iheringi, C versicolor or P cambridgei so I'll probably just see what becomes available after pay day
Tough choice! I currently have a Psalmopoeus cambridgei, but those other two species are on my wishlist.