0.0.1 L. parahybana*
0.0.1 L. striatipes*
0.1.0 P. murinus
0.1.0 A. geniculata
1.0.0 A. chacoana
1.0.0 C. crawshayi*
0.1.0 A. versicolor*
0.1.0 A. seemanni

and I was wondering witch of them I should mist.. It's only 30% of humidity in our livingroom and it can go lower when the below 0 temps arrive, so some of them might really need it. I mist all marked with * (some because they are slings). Is that enough? All of them has water "bowl" to drink from.

I tried to find some good care sheets but most of them said something like 60 to 80 for P. murinus and I thought rrrright..

So if someone could put some guiding percentages after each species I'd appreciate it :worship:

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Keep the substrate damp in all the spiderling vials. Don't let it dry out. I'd keep the substrate on everything else slightly damp too. But as long as all the juvies / adults have water dishes to drink from when they dry out you should be fine. Misting by itself dosen't do much unless you do it 3-4 times a day. Because it drys out in less than an hour.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Humidity...

With winter approaching and your humidity dropping that far, may I suggest you investing in a warm mist humidifier. This will encompass all your T's with soothing warm moist air. Misting does help, but like the aforementioned, it would need to be done 4-5 times daily. Use filtered or distilled water or else it will leave white mineral deposits everywhere.
Winters are cold and dry here too. I have employed a warm mist unit and a ceramic heater in my spider room set on timers. They love it!! and no more worry. :D

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Misting does not need to be done 4 or 5 times a day if you use enclosures with more restricted ventilation and keept the substrate moist. I could see it if you use an aquarium with a screen top lid though

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After doing a bunch of web surfing and reading I've come to the conclusion that restricted ventilation, a dry subtrate with an adequately sized water dish is the safest and best way to control humdity, IMO. :) This is only my way of doing it. Not the ONLY way.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
heering80 said:
I have the following spiders:

0.0.2 T. blondi*
0.0.1 L. parahybana*
0.0.1 L. striatipes*
0.1.0 P. murinus
0.1.0 A. geniculata
1.0.0 A. chacoana
1.0.0 C. crawshayi*
0.1.0 A. versicolor*
0.1.0 A. seemanni

NOT ME but what the heck does it mean when you all put the T's you have and all those numbers and decimals is it the lenght or what im not understanding this 0.1.0 thing someone please explain...

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First number refers to the number of males, 2nd number is the number of females, the third refers to the number of unsexed individuals

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
ohh ok yeah that would make sense thanks im going to have to remeber that
thanks the info

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've posted this once and I'll post it again. If you are worried about the approaching winter, and the humidity changes, change your soil, and make it moist. Then setup your T's enclosure. Cover the cage with saran wrap and either poke a few holes in the top, or leave a part of the top uncovered. It requires more maintenance, because you need to keep up with the cleaning, so as to avoid mold, but what I do is remove the waste, and then squirt the mold with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is completely safe to T's. When it reacts with the mold it produces Oxygen and water. Just don't make the soil super super wet, or else your T will be in swamp-like conditions.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you all. I think I'll go with the restricted ventilation thing and a periodical misting..

Let's hope everything goes fine. T wise and your election wise. You still have hope..

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
IMO, in your list, only blondi's might thrive better on higher RH. While I don't keep any, from reading posts here they seem to undergo rough molts more often than other spp. Even versi's can take it pretty dry. I only mist my baby avics very lightly once every 2-3 weeks, and they seem to be doing fine.

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All my spiders are on bone dry substrate now. I stopped worrying about humidity a long time ago. My blondi is dry, and the only time I up the humidity is when she stops eating.

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was misting my T's like 3 times a day trying to keep "tropical" humidity, but after learning a lot more I've found out that niether of my T's need to be that humid, unless they were avic's or something actually from humid rain forests.
I don't keep my substrate damp either because I've read too many horror stories involving mites. What I do, because I have screen tops is put moist paper towels on top every other day or so to keep some humidity. It's getting cod in Boise too and since I've been running my heater a lot and I hope the paper towels pervent them from getting too dry.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
8SEXYLEGS said:
... unless they were avic's or something actually from humid rain forests...
I think many keepers here would agree that even baby avics don't "need" the high humidity in captivity. Of course, ample ventilation is the key, but I think people generally find the mysterious mortality rate lower when they are kept drier.

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
heering80 said:
I have the following spiders:

0.0.2 T. blondi*
0.0.1 L. parahybana*
0.0.1 L. striatipes*
0.1.0 P. murinus
0.1.0 A. geniculata
1.0.0 A. chacoana
1.0.0 C. crawshayi*
0.1.0 A. versicolor*
0.1.0 A. seemanni

and I was wondering witch of them I should mist.. It's only 30% of humidity in our livingroom and it can go lower when the below 0 temps arrive, so some of them might really need it. I mist all marked with * (some because they are slings). Is that enough? All of them has water "bowl" to drink from.

I tried to find some good care sheets but most of them said something like 60 to 80 for P. murinus and I thought rrrright..

So if someone could put some guiding percentages after each species I'd appreciate it :worship:
To actually answer your question, here's a general humidity range:
T. blondi* around 80-85%
L. parahybana* around 75-80%
L. striatipes* around 75%
P. murinus no higher than 50
A. geniculata around 70%
A. chacoana around 70%
C. crawshayi* around 50-60%
A. versicolor* around 75%
A. seemanni around 70%

Slings usually require a slightly higher humidity...not a lot but some. The only ones you should really need to be conserned with are the blondi, versi and the Lasidoras' oh, and DON'T give the murnius too much moisture, they hate it.

heering80

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
metzgerzoo said:
To actually answer your question, here's a general humidity range:
Slings usually require a slightly higher humidity...not a lot but some. The only ones you should really need to be conserned with are the blondi, versi and the Lasidoras' oh, and DON'T give the murnius too much moisture, they hate it.

THANK YOU! :)

I didn't know that Lasiodoras need that much humidity :? Well, now i know.

I think that it is said somewhere here that crawshayis need high humidity and I always wondered that considering their native habitats.

Is it somehow different when they are slings? That wouldn't make any sense to me because it's hard to imagine them being migrant like birds ;)