Yes! Another free reptile! (Need beardie tips too please?)

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
couple of suggestions.......I would get rid of the plastic or silk plant, your new beardie may try to eat it, especially if it is hungry. I would also recommend one of the calci-sand brands instead of regular sand which can lead to impactions. and remember, beardies like it HOT! measure your basking site temp.
Ed

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Will do and thanks for the tips/compliments, everyone.

Atrax

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Why calci-sand?
I was told to use regular play sand when my beardie was
a few months older.
So, experts which is it?;)

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by sunnymarcie
Why calci-sand?
I was told to use regular play sand when my beardie was
a few months older.
So, experts which is it?;)
I am no means a expert, but calci-sand is supposedly digestable and is supposed to pass through without causing impactions whereas sand will not pass through and will cause impactions. I have been using calci-sand for years for my reptiles that are not too messy. my messy herps are on a pelleted aspen product.
Ed

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Atavuss is correct, the purpose of calci-sand or repti-sand is to prevent impaction as a lot of lizards will lick up sand for various reasons, such as getting to know their environment or to benefit from the supposed added calcium that sand provides. I have heard of instances where lizards have died of impaction from calci-sand. I've used repti-sand and vita-sand which is a much finer grade than calci-sand, and never had a problem with those. I've also used playground sand and never had a problem with it either. Playground sand is more ideal for large cages because it comes in a big 50 lb. bag. Personally, I wouldn't use sand for any beardies less than 6-8 months old. The youngsters are still honing their skills in catching food, a few times they'll end up with a mouthful of sand. For youngsters, I would recommend using paper towels or green aquarium carpeting, just make sure there are no frays that the beardie might try to eat, that will also lead to problems, obviously.

Bry

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
At the moment I am using paper towels. (easy to clean:))
My baby is only about 2 or 3 months old.
He eats like a little pig!
I'll have to get a picture of him later.