Yellow mushrooms in Millipede enclosure.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I found this Leucocoprinus birnbaumii mushroom (Google says that's what it is) in one of my Millipede enclosures. Should I be concerned? Screenshot_20171017-202602.png

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about it. I get these - and a few other types of mushrooms - springing up every once in a while in my millipede, tarantula, centipede, and whip spider enclosures. I try to pull them out as soon as I notice them (before they drop spores) but that's just to keep the tanks from getting overgrown. I don't think they really hurt anything - after all, they are common in the natural habitat.

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't worry about it. I get these - and a few other types of mushrooms - springing up every once in a while in my millipede, tarantula, centipede, and whip spider enclosures. I try to pull them out as soon as I notice them (before they drop spores) but that's just to keep the tanks from getting overgrown. I don't think they really hurt anything - after all, they are common in the natural habitat.
Okay that's kind of what I figured. I doubt the Millipedes would eat them if they're toxic.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
I think the millipedes would enjoy this colorful treat, but if they do not eat it, remove it before long so no more grow.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Animals eat a lot of things I wouldn't eat! Toxicity isn't across the board; what's toxic to one species may not be toxic to another. I have those pop up in my terrariums and if I let them go, I get tons! I would try to remove them.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Removing mushrooms from an enclosure like that is useless. There is still a network of fungus/mycelium underneath the surface.

I seriously doubt it's a big worry, and mushrooms can be extremely easily misidentified, especially off a Google search. :)

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Removing mushrooms from an enclosure like that is useless. There is still a network of fungus/mycelium underneath the surface.

I seriously doubt it's a big worry, and mushrooms can be extremely easily misidentified, especially off a Google search. :)
That is true...
I have a clump of moss I collected in a forest that had a cute orange mushroom sticking out of it. The same time this year, I noticed that the fungus had fruited again and there were little orange shrooms in my outdoor moss patch. If I was to recollect the moss and use it in a temperate terrarium (no animals) would it fruit in captivity?

emplosion

Arachnopeon
That is true...
I have a clump of moss I collected in a forest that had a cute orange mushroom sticking out of it. The same time this year, I noticed that the fungus had fruited again and there were little orange shrooms in my outdoor moss patch. If I was to recollect the moss and use it in a temperate terrarium (no animals) would it fruit in captivity?
It could. I have a viv for my dart frogs. When collecting moss from outdoors I accidentally introduced mushrooms. They were harmless, and they popup every year around the same times then go away for a few months. It's fun to watch and get surprised with stuff like that.

Once introduced you *could* try to remove them, but its unlikely you won't end up dropping spore pods all over while doing it. I just leave mine and they go away with time. You could look at dialing back your humidity a bit to kill the mushrooms off, but that could risk drying out your pedes

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Picking mushrooms to exterminate them is the same as picking every apple in an orchard in an effort to make the trees go away.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon

Don't millipedes eat mycelium though? Or am I mistaken? You'd think that the millipedes would be doing a better job of shroom control than you if they do eat it

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
Yeah I can see the underground shroom network through the side of the enclosure. It's pretty extensive. I've decided not to worry about it though. I'll pick the mushrooms as they surface to keep them from spreading spores (useless as it might be), but I'm not going to go digging, as that will probably cause unnecessary damage to eggs and injury to juveniles.