yellow leg feeding pic's

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
i guess that litle red spot is a spiracle? :?
if it is,....nice spiracle close-up :}

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wayne... I hate to be a pain myself that is but are those mites on the forward segments and fangs? Has it always had them and are they like millipede mites perhaps? My centipedes are mite free as far as I can see.:?

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
hey,... i didn't noticed the mites before,...
but taking a second look,... :? mmmmm

couldn't you just"brush"these of or are they sticky?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steven after all our talk of keeping ones hand away from our 'pedes how would one "brush them off"?:?

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even at 2 and 1/2" I wouldn't want it running up the swab and latching on!:}

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Steven after all our talk of keeping ones hand away from our 'pedes how would one "brush them off"?
mmmmm,.. i can't explain it in English,.. i'll take a picture when i got the chance to show it :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A long handled artist's paint brush is a good tool for this sort of thing, as well as general purpose bug wrangling (centipedes and tarantulas can bite away at it without injuring themselves). I use a 1" thick hog bristle brush with a 12" handle.

When centipedes get mites, I've noticed the cluster mostly around the head and the first several segments. This is probably because the centipede is unable reach these areas with it's mouth to groom them off.

I think your centipede probably had these mites when you got it, but they've been able to multiply since.

Wade

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
just wondering are pede mites the same as reptile mites like can they go from pede to pede:?

john

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I mites on the snake were black or at least very dark in color and VERY small.

I asked the breeder about the head lice medication possibly killing the snake and he said he uses it all the time. (This is a sore subject with me.!!)
I would guess if they don't brush off they have their mouth parts dug in ???

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Having a little colledge Bio myself I would imagine the only way to transmit the pede mites would be to interchange substrate or put them together. But if the tanks are kept directly atop one another or something like that I would perhaps move them a little.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bob
I mites on the snake were black or at least very dark in color and VERY small.

I asked the breeder about the head lice medication possibly killing the snake and he said he uses it all the time. (This is a sore subject with me.!!)
I'd say that is an "old school" way of dealing with mites. There are better products on the maket now, such as "Pro-vent a mite" which is a spray. Again, though, NOT for use on invertebrates!

The headlice medication may have be OK with a healthy snake, but for a snake whos health is already compromised it may have been too much. It could also be that the snake had some sort of infection, mites are known as vectors for diseases between reptiles. These diseases pose a greater threat than the mites themselves.

Wade

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Wade,
The snake quit eatting then we noticed all the mites. I think the snake was sick maybe not the mites at all but still upset my daughter loosing it.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wanna get rid of the mites?

just put the pede in a cage with bone dry substrate and only offer a water dish once a day for a little while then take it out. the dryness of the substrate will kill the mites. don't leave the pede like for more then a week or the dryness could kill the pede. also make sure they drink from the dish before you tAke it out for the day so you know they drank.