Yard bugs (SW Pennsylvania)

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Very cool pics! You are making me want to head out to the woods and see what I can find. I know we have some cool insects hidden in Idaho, somewhere.
Get out there! I bet that you would be pleasantly surprised. I see so many cool bugs living in the country that I never saw in the city.

And thank you ^_^

oldmanofthesea

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the post and pics. I have caught a few of the cincindella beetles this year in Delaware. I didn't know what they were til your post. They are a real jewel! I had two breeding in a terrarium. I hope they were successful. Thanks again for the post. Ron

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the post and pics. I have caught a few of the cincindella beetles this year in Delaware. I didn't know what they were til your post. They are a real jewel! I had two breeding in a terrarium. I hope they were successful. Thanks again for the post. Ron
I hope they were too, Ron! Any update?

GregorSamsa

Arachnosquire
Been awhile since I've been on, and somehow I only have a few pics to share...

Cute little crab spider- Misumenoides formosipes
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347550938.563928.jpg

This guy- don't know what it is, but it was a curious little dude. Was very much interested in what I was doing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347551060.880569.jpg

Blurry, but just spotted this Argiope aurantia with egg sac on the side of our house.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347551196.258022.jpg

I wish I would have gotten pictures of the mass quantities of jumping spiders that were hanging out here for awhile. One had babies on my porch, I kept her fed until she moved on.

On another note, apparently critters think our home is a good place to rear their young... These Carolina wrens hatched on a shelf right by our front door. Very interesting behavior from the parents during the laying/incubating phases... They left the nest about a month ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347552084.926856.jpg

McGuiverstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should try raising one of those assassin nymphs. The transition from nymph to adult would impressive to see. Just watch those fingers ;) I've heard a bite from Arilus cristatus is pretty painful.
Take it from me, it does hurt. Being the little aspiring entomologist I was at 10 or so, I went and picked one of them up and watched in disbelief as it plunged its proboscis into my thumb. Had me in tears..