Xenesthis sp bright

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Was doing a bit of digging for info on Xenesthis sp blue and discovered posts on a german forum with pictures of a sp 'Bright'

Is this species in the hobby? Just curious as i am absolutely sure that it is out of my price range and will most likely remain that way until i win the lottery.

Anybody know anything about this species or seen it before?

Edit: probably halfway down the page. its the purple one (multiple photos) hard to miss. https://vogelspinnenforum.ch/index.php/Thread/1898-Xenesthis-spp/?pageNo=2

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Yes, they exist, the problem is nobody knows what exactly they are, a color variant, subspecies or even a different species.

I mean, we know X. immanis and X. intermedia in the hobby.

Then there is:
sp. 'blue'
sp. 'blue omnigeneri'
sp. 'white' (looks like immanis but has white legs as a sling and juvenile)
sp. 'bright'
sp. 'megascopula'
sp. 'black fire'

and and possibly even other 'strains'. As I said, they look different but whether they are geographical variations or even species nobody knows since they haven't been scientifically described. At least megascopula may be a real species, though.

Germans maintain that you should never try to crossbreed these variants. These 'variants' I mentioned here have all been available in Europe at one time or another, but rather expensive...

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Yes, they exist, the problem is nobody knows what exactly they are, a color variant, subspecies or even a different species.

I mean, we know X. immanis and X. intermedia in the hobby.

Then there is:
sp. 'blue'
sp. 'blue omnigeneri'
sp. 'white' (looks like immanis but has white legs as a sling and juvenile)
sp. 'bright'
sp. 'megascopula'
sp. 'black fire'

and and possibly even other 'strains'. As I said, they look different but whether they are geographical variations or even species nobody knows since they haven't been scientifically described. At least megascopula may be a real species, though.

Germans maintain that you should never try to crossbreed these variants. These 'variants' I mentioned here have all been available in Europe at one time or another, but rather expensive...

I had heard of most of the 'species' before except bright, blue omnigenei, and megascopula, and i would also be of the opinion that locality variants and anything in question are best treated as a separate species and not be bred together.

On a side note. i thought sp black fire was synonomised with immanis.

boina

Lady of the mites
On a side note. i thought sp black fire was synonomised with immanis.
Oh, don't ask me. I abhor taxonomy, unless it's based on genetics, because it's such a mess based on best guesses. I'm going to stay out of this.