xenesthis sp blue, dry or moist sub???

Cycle of Chaos

Arachnopeon
Hello. I purchased a female a few months ago, about 4-4.5". I have experience in many "advanced" species and have never had any issues. I was reading that Xenesthis are similar to pamphos as far as care, and so have been keeping my girl the same.

The reason I'm posting, is that I came across a post back many years ago (2005???) about Xenesthis sp blue care. In that a member said to keep Xenesthis on the dry side. Is that still correct?

My girl molted about a month ago but even before that, has never really acted right. She pretty much sits in one area and barley moves. When I go to feed her she will run away from the crickets or just ignore them. She does eat, but not like many other of my large species, usually one cricket every week or so. Is this normal for them? There is still little information about this species, so I want to make sure she is properly cared for. Currently She is kept in a large critter keeper with several inches of spagnum peat, like all my other species. She has a large water bowl and a hide. As for temps, it stays around 78-85 degrees.

She acts fine otherwise, I was just wondering if this picky eating is normal and should they be on the dry or moist sub?

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I was reading that Xenesthis are similar to pamphos as far as care, and so have been keeping my girl the same.

The reason I'm posting, is that I came across a post back many years ago (2005???) about Xenesthis sp blue care. In that a member said to keep Xenesthis on the dry side. Is that still correct?
Xenesthis require some level of moisture to their substrate, I wouldn't think sp. blue to be an exception to the rule.

My girl molted about a month ago but even before that, has never really acted right. She pretty much sits in one area and barley moves. When I go to feed her she will run away from the crickets or just ignore them. She does eat, but not like many other of my large species, usually one cricket every week or so. Is this normal for them?
At her size, it can take a while for her to harden up. Ts aren't incredibly active following a molt while they sit and harden, and even then tarantulas in general are not active animals by default. Some individual Ts can be pickier eaters than others. My X. immanis usually eats pretty well, but will get finicky with food on occasion. Even for a large terrestrial, I'd think feeding your girl one cricket a week is plenty. There's no need to load her up with crickets - Xenesthis are not incredibly fast growers like other similarly sized genera would suggest.