Xenesthis immanis vs X. sp. black fire vs X. sp. tenebris vs X. sp. Blue

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
What is the difference between these species exactly? I get that the sp. blue has much more of a blue coloration but are there any other differences (size, etc.) between all the species I’ve mentioned? Looking to get back into the hobby but planning to only get one or two tarantulas so I can afford a pricier species.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They are all around the same size range, 7-8'' for adults. X.immanis and sp. black fire were said to be the same spider, you don't see black fire listed anymore though...just immanis.

The other two are Colombia locales and are likely variants of the same species, with the tenebris showing darker coloration on the legs. This is my young female Xenesthis sp. blue Colombia.

These are harder to find, slings were just recently unloaded. X.immanis are everywhere, the most common xenesthis by far...if you want something a little more sought after, this is the species for you.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The Xenesthis spp. is amazing ;), but I nicknamed it the "money species" because the prices are expensive for all the Xenesthis spp. :troll:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
They're really that readily available in Canadia?
Tell me you know its Canada right? ;)
They may be the most common Xenesthis, but in the states they are still about as rare as chicken lips.
They are definitely readily available here, mostly slings though...the Xenesthis sp. blue are quite rare in comparison, popping up once in a while and then dissapearing again. Slings go for more then twice the price of immanis. I got pretty lucky and bargained a great deal for my female, right now unsexed 1'' slings are listed for more then what I paid for her at 2.5''.

Ill definitely be breeding her when shes mature, hopefully get more of this beautiful sp. in the hobby.

cold blood

Staff member
Tell me you know its Canada right? ;)
Yeah, I just call it Canadia.:D

They are definitely readily available here, mostly slings though...the Xenesthis sp. blue are quite rare in comparison, popping up once in a while and then dissapearing again. Slings go for more then twice the price of immanis
Yeah, when you do see immanis, slings are $100-120...when I see the sp. blue, they are always $225 minimum for a sling.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
They're really that readily available in Canadia? They may be the most common Xenesthis, but in the states they are still about as rare as chicken lips.
I have one. They are worth every penny.. My only regret is that I didn't buy the other one that was for sale...

JanPhilip

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
According to the information Streffen Esche posted on a Swiss forum, the main character to differentiate the Xenesthis species are the scopula on the metatarsus of the fourth leg pair and the hairs on the femur of the fourth leg pair. Though some of them are seemingly distinct in regards to color, there is apparently quite some variation within the species as well. He also published an article with preliminary characters, but I do not know if there is a pdf available, unless you ask him directly.

Xenesthis spp. - Zu Unterschieden der Scopula am Metatarsus IV (Araneae, Theraphosidae, Theraphosinae) . Arthropoda Popularis 1/2 (3) 2015(20-30)

To my knowledge there has not been any recent work done on the genus, and apparently there is little or no locality data conneced to the types of the species, except for intermedia. Adding to this, I read that the original characters used to distinguish the species were largely size ratios (i.e. leg length vs carapax length), which aren't very consistent. There is a thread on a German forum with some more information here. I talked a bit to Benjamin Weber at Mahrbach-fair a couple of years ago and he seemed to be of the opinion that the two sp. blue localities are not easily intermixable. I do not know if that is still up-to-date though, as I also read somewhere that someone in Germany managed to purposely hybridize several supposed species.

So in summary, the color differences might seem large between some species, but the variation may overlap between several of them and seemingly identical localities of the presumably same species might not be compatible.

On a side note there seems to be more and more success with breeding them in Europe every year, from what I see offered on various sites. However, the prices do not drop very rapidly, as the demand is apparently still pretty high. Also I think the first F2 generations are just now starting to be produced. That's just speculation though. N1 of sp Blue are 80-120 euros at the moment.

Death Derp

Arachnopeon
Lol. On Tarantula Canada, they have 1" X. immanis 2" female X. Immanis and 1.25" X. sp. Comlumbia Blue