Writing article on OBT, need owner experience stories

Bloody Mary14927

Arachnopeon
I am currently writing a magazine article on the Pterinochilus murinus, and I am looking for current/previous owners to share their stories with me. Did your OBT fall into the stereotype behavior, or did you have a different experience? Any information you would like to share with others, advice, tips, etc. You can either be credited by name if you don't mind, or quoted as annonymus. I greatly appreciate all the information I can get.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All i have had, and i have had many P murinus from diffrent geographical locals including a bunch of OBT. I have bred OBT and p murinus "beige form" and got loads of slings. Most of them have been defenssive. From defenssive to very nasty. I have never had any thats been calm

Minty

@londontarantulas
@Teal

I’ve only kept one AF. She fits the stereotype, threat postures at any disturbance of her enclosure. She’s probably my most defensive tarantula.

I keep her on deep, dry substrate, with a water dish and a hide. She webs a lot.
84B4C3A9-8AC7-4D92-A13B-1EF159CA7FAE.jpeg
After a recent moult.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I have 3 Pterinochilus murinus 'usambara' plus 3 Pterinochilus murinus 'tete' slings - I've never once gotten a threat display from any of them. The whole thing about how "aggressive" they are is one the biggest myths in the hobby.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had loads of them, diffrent color forms in diffrent sizes. I have bred tho OBT and the "beige hobby" colorforms, and got lots of slings which many of them, i reared to maturity. Most of them was defenssive to a degree. Some more tgsn others. But i have had specimens that was more skittish then defenssive

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Well I can't speak for all OBT's since every single one of them is a different specimen. But honestly, this entire talk of "Threat Posture 101" is like a lie IME with OBT's. I currently own 3 of them and they're not at all the talk of threat posture that people assume they are. They're basically a normal OW T. that webs more than average IME. I've only had one actual threat posture from surprising one of them during rehouse, but other than that it's a normal OW tarantula. My 3 are not defensive or aggressive, but rather a bit skittish into the webbing and just wait there for either food or for me to be done with maintenance. But hey, it's from my own 3, so it's better to get your own specimens and experience them yourself for a better understanding.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
One time my little guy threw up a threat pose at half an inch when I picked up the cup. It’s about 2” now and it hasn’t done any since, besides at the water dish of course. Typical ow behavior ime.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
I have 3 slings of different sizes. I have only had them a few months. All I can say is they are fast.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What type of article are you writing? Is it one of those clickbaity "OMG! DEADLY AGGRESSIVE GIANT SPIDERS CAN BE BOUGHT BY ANYONE OVER THE INTERNET"

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi, I'm Teal and I am an Orange Bob-aholic :D

I'd like more information on what magazine this is for? What types of experiences are you looking for?

I can say, in general, that my experience with Orange Bobs has been 100% opposite from anyone who says theirs is a defensive monster being.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Disclaimer: I only had 1 OBT and he matured so quickly -- like <1.5 years from sling to MM. But mine was docile, never escaped, and only threat posed when rehoused (and that was a stressful experience for us both so the threat poses then were completely expected and natural). Overall my OBT was a lovely T with an excellent feeding response. Any drama was in my head: I had a pre-set notion that he would be an aggressive and a speedy escape artist -- but in reality, he was fairly easy-going and calm; usually a pet rock sitting topside on his webbed hammock instead of burrowed/hidden.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi, I'm Teal and I am an Orange Bob-aholic :D

I'd like more information on what magazine this is for? What types of experiences are you looking for?

I can say, in general, that my experience with Orange Bobs has been 100% opposite from anyone who says theirs is a defensive monster being.
You like redheads namd Bob?

Hamiltincolin25

Arachnopeon
If your looking for a OBT horror story I semi have what your want. As I said it’s not necessarily a horror story, but here it is. Me having a few nw ts decided to get a P. Murinus as I had learned general husbandry learned and am calm in general. The package comes in the mail from Jamie’s Tarantulas, I set up the enclosure and transfer the t out and back into the pill jar to remove the paper towel so I could get a quick meal myself. On the transfer to the enclosure it ran up my arm, I got it in a catch cup put it in the enclosure. Was admiring it with lid off and it runs down the side of the night stand closest to the wall. I took the catch cup and after 15min of not having eyes on it finally snagged the sucker. For 3 days I was scared I squashed with the catch cup even though it was acting fine. As stated multiple times not really a OBT specific story just happened to occur with a OBT. It’s now around 3” 3.5”and behaving like any other faster t.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
My Orange Bob isn't defensive at all, both retreats to their hide at a slight disturbance. Raised them as slings and only observe a threat posture once. Webs a lot and great feeding response (really FAST in catching prey).

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I’ve had two OBTs, one male and one female who I still have. I got them both as slings, 1cm. The male matured within two years; he was pretty skittish whenever I fed him but never threw any threat postures.

My current female is a great eater and comes out of her burrow every couple of weeks. She’s quite chill as far as the species goes.

I don’t have any horror stories for you, they’re a great species and I love their versatility. They’ll take everything you give them for an environment and utilise it all to create something unique. Fantastic species.

Hamiltincolin25

Arachnopeon
My Orange Bob isn't defensive at all, both retreats to their hide at a slight disturbance. Raised them as slings and only observe a threat posture once. Webs a lot and great feeding response (really FAST in catching prey).
That’s how mine is, it’s also a ‘large juvie’ so there’s odds it might become defensive as it’s still not ‘mature’